Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,559   Online: 969

Shooter
    4x5 Format

X-Pan Repair & Build quality

Don't have one yet, but thinking about it.
    Is the build quality of the X-Pan such that it won't/shouldn't give many problems with functioning correctly? Or are they like some fancy sports cars, great when they work, they just don't work right all that often? do screws get loose and bits start falling off?
    Does Hasselblad or someone else offer service and repair on these?

thank you!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The X-Pan is a well built camera. It's very solid.

The X-Pan was made by Fuji and was sold in Japan as the TX-1. I'm not sure about service, but I would assume that it would begin with Hasselblad. I don't know if it means that Hasselblad USA would do the work or if the camera would be sent to Japan.

The build quality of the X-Pan is excellent. That said, because it's a rangefinder, there is always the possibility that the rangefinder system could be knocked out of calibration.

The camera is battery dependent. It can't do anything if the batteries die. Well, it can focus, because that is manual, but that's about it.

You don't read many comments about X-Pan breakdowns, although certainly it has happened to some owners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hasselblad in NJ does all of the servicing.

I took my Xpan II to Mexico, Canada and Iceland and never had a problem.

It is a well built machine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    Don't have one yet, but thinking about it.
    Is the build quality of the X-Pan such that it won't/shouldn't give many problems with functioning correctly? Or are they like some fancy sports cars, great when they work, they just don't work right all that often? do screws get loose and bits start falling off?
    Does Hasselblad or someone else offer service and repair on these?

thank you!
    I have been using one of the early ones since they came out for landscape / beach work (with 45mm and 90mm lenese) and found it to be totally reliable and very robust. Just keep it clean and do not abuse it too much and make sure you dry it off if it gets wet and it will be OK. The only annoying thing about them is they wind the film back into the cassette and this can't be changed.

Cheers,

Neil.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I took mine to Spain and Cambodia. No problems on either end. Lovely camera, built like you would expect something with the Hassy / Fuji name on it to be built.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Xpan II was blown over while fixed to the tripod. The bottom plate was bent and although I pushed it back into place, it leaked light onto the rest of the shots that I took that w/end. I did send it to Hasselblad in the UK and got it repaired. Since then (2 years ago) its been fine. Lesson : never leave an unattended camera on a tripod.

Cheers
    TEX

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've had two X-Pan's (the first was stolen). Never had a problem with it and it worked very well. If you keep an extra set of CR2 batteries, your golden.
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin