Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I use my Gaoersi 6x17 alongside a 5x4 or occasionally 10x8 camera so lack of a DOF scale is fairly inconsequential. I also now only use a 75mm lens with it, so far in the 2+ years I've had the camera focusing & DOF have never been a problem or issue despite the fact I nearly always use the camera hand-held. I already had a range-finder that I could have used with the camera but have found it unnecessary and sold it through this forum.

If you really need an indication of DOF then tables are available for most lenses, it's no big deal.

Ian
    Ian there's a really big difference in accuracy and ease of use with using an on the lens DOF scale versus a table. Using a lens DOF scale simply requires that you focus on the near and far points using the camera's GG, noting those distances and simply setting them between the aperture ranges on the DOF scale. Quick, easy and accurate.

With a table you need to carry some means of determining distances, for the near and far points, and for setting the hyperfocal point determined by the table. Not nearly as quick and easy and again, requiring a range finder.

I own 4 Fotomans, and while I wish they had a quick release lens system, I can not argue with their image quality (better film flatness than my Sinar Zoom and Zoom II roll film holders) and their robustness. I fell while carrying a Fotoman. It hit the deck hard , but the camera it self did not get so much as a scratch.
    Last edited by Early Riser; 04-17-2009 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Ian
    First....I agree a 75mm is going to be no problem. However, many of us use 150/180mm, depth of field becomes a significant issue. Also many are using 240mm -400mm. A rangefinder with a depth of field scale becomes very important. For you the Goarsi is no problem, and I'm sure it could also survive a fall from off a cliff like a Fotoman. I'm not knocking the camera, what kills the deal is the lack of a good scale on the helical mount.

Second, often in nature your shooting at closer distances (hyperfocal is useless).....you need the exact depth of field range. Again, not a big issue with 75mm (there is so much room to play), but try that with a 150mm lens. I shot some wildlife at 18ft @f/8 (this time with 90mm Nikkor/8 )....and I was able to determine my depth of field instantly on the helical ring (for any f/stop) giving me 14-26ft (I knew I was safe). Your 75mm is not much different from a 90mm and would give you 13-40ft. Other then a 75mm lens, you can see where everyone else would be in trouble with longer focal lengths. Every pano camera from Linhof/Horseman/Fuji/Fotoman has the depth of field scale. I find it odd that Goaersi would waste ink putting writing on the bottom of their camera, but could not add a few numbers to the helical ring which would have made a big improvement. They got to be nuts! This feature is why I bought a pano camera (offering speed and convenience for tallship photography, wildlife, and other scenes requiring fast set up ....tables are too SLOW). By offering a rangefinder for the Fotoman that mounts directly to the camera closed the deal. It is so useful. Considering the other options (linhof/Horseman).....I would gladly have paid 2x more, and still it would have cost 1/3 that of a Linhof.

These DOF values can be verified at http://www.punitsinha.com/resource/d...alculator.html using Circle of Confusion of .058 (std used by Fotoman, which is a fairly stiff standard allowing sharp prints to 40inches). For a few hundred more the Fotoman is a far more useful camera.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As the satisfied and proud owner of a Fotoman I agree totally with fotoman. My only regret is that I don't use it more and will (alas) have to sel it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry if this a bit off-topic, but how about the 6x17 back by Shen Hao that fits most Field camera's ?

You would be able to mount a finder on top ofcourse, like with the Linhof Master Technika.

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin