Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,950   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Horizon S3 Pro Panoramic Filmy Review

Just posted up my review of the Horizon S3 Pro Pano film camera to flickr. 2nd review of bit little odd bits so far!

Click on the image for the review in full.

Past Reviews:
    Holga's 120WPC 6x12 Panoramic Pinhole

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    one more incomplete/imprecise report.
    ats an arsat 28mm, exposure times are not 1/250 to 1 sec. if yes there must be 9 exp. times. but there are 2x4(2 for two drum speeds) 1/15 is lacking.
    i updated wikipedia-entry these days.
    most important: at fstop 16 lens it is not sharp anymore. but in 202 it IS. razorsharp at 8, 11, 16 conclusion: if you need a perfect camera, you will have to remove 202-lens and use it in s3-pro. work for a good repairman.
    http://www.pbase.com/europanorama/panoramic_camera
    this report does not tell you anything about best DOF. lenses set to infinity will never show best DOF. solutions for improving this can be read in my forum at:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/pancams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good review!

I have the Horizon 202, I have never seen the latest model, where did you get from?

Glenferrie is spelt this way, I used to sell newspapers under that station in the late fifties.

I think you may find that the yellow/green filter is quite a good filter. Unless they have changed the filter substantially, yours should be quite good as well. I almost permanently leave my Yellow/Green filter on my 202.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    one more incomplete/imprecise report.
    ats an arsat 28mm, exposure times are not 1/250 to 1 sec. if yes there must be 9 exp. times. but there are 2x4(2 for two drum speeds) 1/15 is lacking.
    i updated wikipedia-entry these days.
    most important: at fstop 16 lens it is not sharp anymore. but in 202 it IS. razorsharp at 8, 11, 16 conclusion: if you need a perfect camera, you will have to remove 202-lens and use it in s3-pro. work for a good repairman.
    I'm not sure about your copy, but i dont have any sharpness issues on the S3 Pro. As for exposure times, the range is from 1/250 to 1 second, and yes it does miss the 1/15th.

I dont get why you need to be so rude about it though

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Good review!

I have the Horizon 202, I have never seen the latest model, where did you get from?

Glenferrie is spelt this way, I used to sell newspapers under that station in the late fifties.

I think you may find that the yellow/green filter is quite a good filter. Unless they have changed the filter substantially, yours should be quite good as well. I almost permanently leave my Yellow/Green filter on my 202.

Mick.
    Fairly sure it was from rugift. I use it to shoot a lot of colour stuff, otherwise i suspect the yellow green would have more use!
    Last edited by doigal; 02-08-2009 at 03:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, i find the ND filter is useful in controling the shutter speed/ aperture combinations. Thanks for reminding me about the Horizons. You've made me want to get mine out now.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by doigal View Post
    I'm not sure about your copy, but i dont have any sharpness issues on the S3 Pro. As for exposure times, the range is from 1/250 to 1 second, and yes it does miss the 1/15th.

I dont get why you need to be so rude about it though

Fairly sure it was from rugift. I use it to shoot a lot of colour stuff, otherwise i suspect the yellow green would have more use!
    if i am reading constantly what is wrong rude is a must.
    i waited quite a long time until someone inspected the fstop 16 -shot precise enough to find the fault, by using a strong loupe of 30x. horizon 202-images can be enlarged up to 6m wide. said coproducer of the horizon 202/technopan rainer k. lampinen.
    lens-design was changed, which was a big mistake. one supplier even is telling us s3pro-lens it sharper and gives better contrast. i didnt see any sharpness differences from 11 down. i used a shim on filmrails(0,25mm)-changing film to lens-distance. see my forum.
    what has been changed is rotating times(two speeds). it is slower now, so smaller slits can be used resulting in better images. maybe under difficult light-situations. forget shoot at fstop 16. testimage tells the story. even a simple scanner can prove this.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    blah blah blah
    Again, your opinion. I've drum scanned images from the s3pro and I'm perfectly happy with the sharpness from the prints from that. Perhaps you have a bad copy?? Again there is no need to be a total dick about someone else having a good copy and giving an opinion on it for the benefit of others.

As for 6m wide from whats essentially 2 35mm frames merged and your still boring on about sharpness? I dont think theres a film in the world that can be enlarged 75 times and still hold a true 200 odd dpi resolution, but if you can provide proof of this i'd love to see it.

Most users would have no need for a 6m wide print out of this camera anyway, so if thats the level of detail you have to go to to find out this sharpness 'issue' then I couldn't care less if the s3pro is unsharp by your standards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a person who has actually enlarged a 35 mm colour negative to 6 metres wide, directly onto colour photographic paper in a darkroom, I would agree that you could enlarge negatives I have from my Horizon 202 camera to that size.

But, and there is always a but, sharpness and/or whatever, is relative.

You don't expect to be able to stand 1 metre away from a 6 metre wide enlargement, you just couldn't see it. You have to stand back quite a bit, at which point any apparent softness, and there will be softness, is diminished to a point where it doesn't matter.

I always listen to what people have to say, then conduct my own tests. I believe you should simulate a 6 metre wide enlargement by wall projection with your enlarger, then, and only then, will you have the true answer regarding your lens on your camera.

Mick.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    you need a 30x loupe to see that aperture 16 on s3pro is not as sharp as in ho 202. it was a big mistake to change lens-design. i know that truth is sometimes not welcome but it will avoid further mistakes. its the same with lens-quality in common. camera-quest-owner stephen gandy told that if the manufacturers would only produce the best lenses they would get bancrupt. if you are lucky with your ho s3pro then you have not enlarged the images enough. europanorama

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you need a 30x loupe to see that aperture 16 on s3pro is not as sharp as in ho 202. it was a big mistake to change lens-design. i know that truth is sometimes not welcome but it will avoid further mistakes. its the same with lens-quality in common. camera-quest-owner stephen gandy told that if the manufacturers would only produce the best lenses they would get bancrupt. if you are lucky with your ho s3pro then you have not enlarged the images enough. europanorama
    The Horizon 202 has a better quality lens?

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin