Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,677   Online: 972

Thread: Panoramic head

Shooter
    Medium Format

Panoramic head

I have a Rolleiflex, and a Pentax 645 that I will like to use to get some panoramic shots, thus I`m looking for a good tripod head, I will like to keep it simple, does any ow you have any experience with the Manfrotto 300N pan rotation unit or the more sophisticated 303 Plus. Wich is a 300N plus an attachment for vertical pics.

Thanks

Hugh
    Live and Let Live

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No experience with the Manfrotto, but I did pick up a Rollei panorama head not long ago at a decent price. It came in two types: one that only fit the Rollei TLR, and another (newer style) with a regular tripod screw mount. I tried it on a Hassy and it seemed to work fairly well with a 80mm lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format

I have consider those

One question that I have is which is the newer one?

and presumibly the better one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 181447926_tp.jpg   ef91_1.JPG  
    Live and Let Live

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The second one (on the right) is newer and will fit any camera. The first one is older and will only fit the Rollei TLR. Which is better... I'm not sure; I think they both work the same. The only "problem" I've had with the newer one is seeing the bubble after the camera is mounted. Minor problem, though, since my tripod and head both have bubbles.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 12-23-2008 at 05:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Brian
    Live and Let Live

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The second one (on the right) is newer and will fit any camera. The first one is older and will only fit the Rollei TLR. Which is better... I'm not sure; I think they both work the same. The only "problem" I've had with the newer one is seeing the bubble after the camera is mounted. Minor problem, though, since my tripod and head both have bubbles.
    A bubble-head?
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Actually there is an important difference between the new smaller Rollei pano head and the older longer one. what makes it a panorama head is that it realigns the turning axis on the camera to the middle of the lens instead of the middle of the camera chamber. With the older Rollei pano head the offset or realignment is built in. With the newer Rollei head you are supposed to attach a Rolleifix to the pano head first and then the camera to the Rolleifix. that realigns the camera so the turning axis is the middle of the lens.
    Dennis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin