Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,571   Online: 785

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cirkut Camreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't done a search yet but some of you might know where I can get 8in.x? rolls of paper so I can print the negs I have. Freestyle might have it. I would really like to print these somehow. The historical society in San Diego might be interested in seeing what I have. Not for profit of course but just to let others see the images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    Has anyone used or seen an old Cirkut camera? I have some old negatives which are 8in. by 4ft. and date from the 40's or 50's. I also have some film from that era which have not been opened. Obviously the film is no good being so old but I am just curious if anyone here has used or seen these cameras. From what I can gather they were popular back in those bygone days.
    I worked with an outfit that used one for group portraits. This was back in the 1960s. It used big rolls of Verichrome Pan. Negs were contact printed, of course. We had a dark room guy who got started printing an order of several hundred. He did not lock the contact printer completely on one end. The boss had to trash a whoooooolllllle lot of prints that were slightly unsharp at one end. Boss told stories of wiseguys who would stand at a spot until the camera panned by him, then beatfeet it further on and get in the picture twice. We souped the film in a ceramic deep tank sunk partially in the floor, in Permadol developer.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Till a few years ago kodak put out a printed "professional products" catalog that had all the weird stuff in it and was fairly complete. As digital took over they dropped it, along with a lot of the products. Most of the stuff still available could be found online though. But it was downhill from there. I can't find anything on their website now and you can contact whatever they call the professional products division now and hope you get someone that might have a vague idea about the product you are looking for and whether they still sell it. Last time I heard portra 160nc 10" x 6' cirkut film was available by the roll, but they don't make it easy to figure it out. You have to hunt it down.
    By removing or hiding your products list online, and not publishing it anywhere, you pretty much are taking away the demand for it as no one knows you are selling it. My only conclusion is they want to not sell these products anymore. It's sad to see kodak destroy their own market, but they clearly are either completely inept or making a conscious decision to shrink the specialty film market. I can't even easily figure out what aerial film is being made. I'm assuming it's a conscious but stupid marketing decision. Wouldn't it be smart though to have a complete online products list. I can't believe it would be that hard to maintain. Anyway, hope color cirkut film is still made. If so, I wonder how much longer.
    Last edited by jamie young; 02-14-2009 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak 160 NC , 10''x6' roll, catalog #847 0940. I just bought some a few months ago. Ordered through Glazer's in Seattle, although you can get it through any Kodak professional products dealer. It took only a few days, so I believe that Kodak keeps this product in stock. It is a real tragedy how these products are being killed through a deliberate process of withholding information.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a Cirkut #10 in July 2008, from Kenneth Snelson. It came well reccomended by at least a couple people here on this site. I've shot about 8-10 images with it, including one at a motorcycle rally in Duluth MN with about 1,000 people in the image. Setting up and shooting such a scene is one of the most amazing photographic experiences I've had in my life, combining drafting and composition and photography skills all into one. Also coaching skills, as I had 3 assistants for that shot, and basically coached them an hour ahead of time, and laid out the shot, as we had just 15 minutes to get all the people into place at 4:00 PM.

Here's a rough pic of the result. The colored version is several d*g* images, stitched; b/w is Cirkut:
    http://www.aerostich.com/files/image...1hb_fadeBW.jpg

And here's the very cool sales pitch from the Aerostich catalog:
    http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=20803

I'm a newbie at Cirkut stuff, so at this point that's the climax of my Cirkut experience. But had been reading about the subject for a couple years before buying one. Seems to me there's about 1-2 Cirkut photogs using them in states east of the Mississippi, and fewer than that in states west of the Mississippi. But that's just a guesstimate on my part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There have been a couple of professional school group companies still shooting cirkuts, hence the continued availability of film. Don't know the status now, but kodak will only be selling the 10" color if there is profit in it, though I heard at one time the profit was in the paper they sold these companies, to make the hundreds of prints each school bought, multiplied by the many schools shot. So the profit was in the paper, but the film was needed to shoot the photos. I think there are a few more shooters for now than that, but they are just doing it on their own and off the radar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where do you get 10" Portra processed?
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found that Ilford makes 8in. x 250ft. rolls for about $75.00. More than I need for the few Cirkut negs I have but I can always cut some 8x10's out of the roll. Or I could make a crazy big pinhole camera to make some panoramas. No end to the creative uses of a long roll of paper.

Shooter
    35mm

Reply to Ron

Quote Originally Posted by panoramic View Post
    Just a quick note to tell you that I know Cirkut photography is alive and well in Alaska and a few other places in the world.

Cirkut cameras still find use in several ways where digital or modern equipment is not as good. For example photographing 500 people in a group, the cirkut provides a very sharp image, and is easy and cheap to print. The size of the camera (as big as an 8x10 view camera) commands an audience and gives the impression that something important is happening, plus the best part about cirkut use... IT'S FUN!

Ron Klein
    Juneau, Alaska
    Ron,

Long time. What's going on? I'm now in Salem, OR. Am retired and doing some work with the D700 and machine shop.

Jim Bausch, bauschj@aol.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is another 10" Cirkut on ebay. Looks to be complete, with Portra 160 film and other stuff. Wants $2899.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin