Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,599   Online: 751

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cirkut Camreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cirkut Camreas

Has anyone used or seen an old Cirkut camera? I have some old negatives which are 8in. by 4ft. and date from the 40's or 50's. I also have some film from that era which have not been opened. Obviously the film is no good being so old but I am just curious if anyone here has used or seen these cameras. From what I can gather they were popular back in those bygone days.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jamie Young, who I have not seen post here for quite a while, is the go-to guy for Cirkuts; he owns and uses several of these cameras. He has brought them to Bill Schwab's "Photostock" event in northern Michigan the past 2 summers and did some really great photos of the group. Jamie's web site is at http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com, where you will see some examples of his photographs made with Cirkuts.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Just a quick note to tell you that I know Cirkut photography is alive and well in Alaska and a few other places in the world.

Cirkut cameras still find use in several ways where digital or modern equipment is not as good. For example photographing 500 people in a group, the cirkut provides a very sharp image, and is easy and cheap to print. The size of the camera (as big as an 8x10 view camera) commands an audience and gives the impression that something important is happening, plus the best part about cirkut use... IT'S FUN!

Ron Klein
    Juneau, Alaska

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still here. And Ron, who posted above, is just about the best cirkut shooter out there. He is also very knowledgeable about the cameras. They are hard to work but fun to use. I'm in the process of moving, so won't be doing much till spring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone has posted a 10" Cirkut on Fleabay for a buy-it-now price of $1300? Looks like it is complete, just don't have the $ right now. Good for someone, guess the price is about right.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a search and there is quite a bit of info on the web. It's good to hear that the cameras are still being used. The devloping process must be interesting to say the least.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael - It will be interesting to see if anyone bids on that #10. It looks to be a decent usable camera. I'm not sure, but it may even be a re-list. I think he had it on eBay before at about that price, and didn't get a bid. $1300 is about half what a #10 would have sold for not very many years ago.

Jamie or Ron - Any idea if Kodak still does the special orders of Cirkut color neg film? I don't want any. I'm just curious. I haven't heard any mention of it in several years, and sort of guess Kodak dropped it along with Verichrome Pan, Azo, and all the other goodies they have killed.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Robertson View Post
    Michael - It will be interesting to see if anyone bids on that #10. It looks to be a decent usable camera. I'm not sure, but it may even be a re-list. I think he had it on eBay before at about that price, and didn't get a bid. $1300 is about half what a #10 would have sold for not very many years ago.

Jamie or Ron - Any idea if Kodak still does the special orders of Cirkut color neg film? I don't want any. I'm just curious. I haven't heard any mention of it in several years, and sort of guess Kodak dropped it along with Verichrome Pan, Azo, and all the other goodies they have killed.

Len
    I think I have seen it up in the near past, I only wish I had the money, I would buy it and use it. Most people are using aerographic film. Kodak makes 9 1/2 inch aero film, you can use it successfully
    with a small spacer. It is also quite expensive, Kodak has a minimum of ten rolls to be purchased at a price of $750/roll. Developing it can be an adventure in itself. I developed a roll of 122 Verichrome Pan in an open bucket. It worked, but what a hassle. I'll do it again, I enjoy the camera.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just noticed on Fleabay that someone has bid on that 10" Cirkut, so I guess that for $1300 + $50 or so shipping, it will have a new home. Hope the person buying it uses it.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Len - Kodak Portra 160 NC on a 25.4 cm x 6 ft roll is available from any Kodak dealer. 25.4cm is equivalent to 10 in. Why Kodak mixes up two different measuring systems in one description is anybody's guess. Curiously, there is no indication on the box that the film is for Cirkut cameras. The film does not seem to be listed on any of Kodak's on-line information sites. There is no minimum purchase, buy one roll, or twenty. I believe its around $35 a roll and was readily available as recently as last fall. This may not be widely known. I recently saw an expired roll of this stuff sell on the auction site for more than a fresh one would have from a dealer. The catalog number is 847 0940.
    Speaking of having FUN, I would be most interested in making contact with any experienced Cirkut shooters in the Seattle area for exchanging ideas and hopefully going out on a shoot. I have an untested #10 that Ron Klein cleaned up for me. Spring is just around the corner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin