Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,007   Online: 754

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lens problems with Horizon S3 Pro - Fixed, Still exist or Urban Myth???

Having dropped my poor old Horizon 202

I have managed to repair it so that it works, although the aperture and shutter speed controls are a little lose and some care is needed to select the correct setting. Even before this accident, I was using the hozizon enough to think about buying spare or backup camera. The problem I had was cosing between another 202 or go for 203 U500 which has the extra 1/500 shutter speed. I shoot mostly 400ASA for flexibility but was having problems on brighter days with not over exposing a little even on f16 and 1/250. And to be honest I find the damn filters so tricky to get in an out I can never be bothered.

However, I have heard there were problems with the S3 lens at certain apertures. I see on another thread the suggestion that the S3 lens be replaced with a 202 lens. Are these problems real? An urban myth? or something that was only in the earlier versions and fixed in later models? Rather than exacerbate any "myths/rumours" any direct experience or official information would be of interest before I make my decision and purchase. Regards Stuart.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW: forgot to say...if you do ever drop your Horizon 202 and have an excuse to take it apart and look inside, it is well worth doing. These things are a marvel of clockwork intricacy. Not quite a swiss clock but still fascinating. If only some inventive person in Honk Kong or the far easy would produce a clear plastic version with all the workings clear to see, the camera would get even more looks and comments than it does anyway. I wished I'd photographed it instead of being in ahurry to put it together and see if my fix had worked. In this case a spring clip on the control dials had popped out of line with the ratchets on those control dials so it wasnt terminal (this time).

Shooter
    35mm
    Stuart,

You maay have already read this: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum186/...my-review.html

If not, there is a little discussion around the 202 & S3 lens quality.

Cheers.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    i own an S3pro and have zero problems with sharpness.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by fo55ilboy View Post
    Having dropped my poor old Horizon 202

I have managed to repair it so that it works, although the aperture and shutter speed controls are a little lose and some care is needed to select the correct setting. Even before this accident, I was using the hozizon enough to think about buying spare or backup camera. The problem I had was cosing between another 202 or go for 203 U500 which has the extra 1/500 shutter speed. I shoot mostly 400ASA for flexibility but was having problems on brighter days with not over exposing a little even on f16 and 1/250. And to be honest I find the damn filters so tricky to get in an out I can never be bothered.

However, I have heard there were problems with the S3 lens at certain apertures. I see on another thread the suggestion that the S3 lens be replaced with a 202 lens. Are these problems real? An urban myth? or something that was only in the earlier versions and fixed in later models? Rather than exacerbate any "myths/rumours" any direct experience or official information would be of interest before I make my decision and purchase. Regards Stuart.
    1. filter- tricky? no!
    i would read the manual. mount the filter the right way. a) to be able changing it when camera is cocked or uncocked.
    use a second filter to remove it.
    2. the lens problem is damned REAL. not sharp at fstop 16. see here:
    http://www.pbase.com/europanorama/pa...md=add_comment
    and in my forum:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/pancams/start

we cold only guess why there are 19 mio hits for horizon 202. i would put the 202-lens into s3pro and set to infinity. use close-up lenses to change distance. if using shim at filmrails one cannot use two closeup-lenses anymore. one would be too near then.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin