Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,781   Online: 965

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

The saga continues . . .

Based on some e-mail exchanges with someone at Gaoersi, I went out and purchased a Fuji 90/5.6 . Unfortunately, the diameter of the rear lens group is too large to move far enough forward to thread into the shutter, let alone move forward during focusing. I appreciate the insight about the Schneiders and may have to try that next, although I'm going to be broke before long. At the moment, I'm second guessing myself and wishing I would have bought a complete camera. Again, I appreciate the comments and am learning plenty about the intricacies of lenses and fixed mounts.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Fugi F/8 should fit and covers the format
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Dave -
    What started this whole conundrum is the lens adapter is too long for Fuji 90/8, hence no infinity focus. I didn't know about flange distance when I bought the camera, so now I'm on the quest to find a lens that will focus AND fit inside the camera.
    Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a lot of APUG members in Michigan maybe someone could help you out and let you try fitting a lens 90mm Schneider or Rodenstock and check the Infinity focus before you buy a lens. Do you have the focus screen with the camera ?

Ian

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvarland View Post
    Dave -
    What started this whole conundrum is the lens adapter is too long for Fuji 90/8, hence no infinity focus. I didn't know about flange distance when I bought the camera, so now I'm on the quest to find a lens that will focus AND fit inside the camera.
    Roger
    Got it, I use the fugi 8 on da yi/ focus set up and works fine, see photo of set up posted in tech gallery...I was thinking your set up was similar..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

more interesting details from China

The latest quirk in this mystery is Super Angulon 90/5.6 won't work either. While it will thread together, it will not close focus due to lack of clearance inside the cone. The people at Gaoersi, when confronted with this and accompanying photos, claim the lens cone is not theirs, but was made by someone else. So the next question for anyone still reading this ongoing comedy, what company might make a lens cone that would fit on a Gaoersi? Are some pano lens cones interchangeable? Thanks to all once again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Large format lenses are normally designed and optimised for use at f22, they are not diffraction limited to f16, and are still very usable at f32 and in many cases f45. You only need to read data from Zeiss, Schneider & Rodenstock etc and use lenses at these apertures and make large prints to see this statement isn't true.
    You can't 'design' a lens to have any specific diffraction characteristic. It a physical function of aperture size. Its simple, the smaller the aperture, the more the diffraction (or the larger the bullseyes). Its physics of light, not design of the lens.

Shooter
    35mm

Minium Focus

On the Gaoersi, you can adjust the overall lens mount distance by backing out set screws on the mount and setting infinity focus (I focus at about 1/3 of frame width instead of center). Granted there are different cone lenghts as Paul has mentioned, bu there is quite an adjustment range on the mount.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

wrong adapter?

I think I understand the procedure as described in the last post, but I'm also beginning to believe that what I purchased is not 100% Gaoersi. The body has the name in several places, so I'm good there. The next piece, rectangular, about 1" thick, mounts up to the body with 4 thumb screws and must also be Gaoersi.(?) However, the next two pieces (lens cone? and focusing ring) could be another brand? These last two connect to the first via a threaded 85mm hole. Is this hole common to other cameras? If so, could a previous owner have swapped components? Again, I am unsure how much interchangeability there is among these fixed mount cameras. Maybe I need to figure out where to post some pictures and give better clues. Thanks again for the collective insight.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Problem Solved (sort of)

Today I finally discovered that the reason I hadn't been able to put two and two together is that the front end of the camera had been rebuilt by SK Grimes, a high-end camera machine shop. The custom work had been designed specifically for a SA 90/5.6 XL. Though I tried a SA 90/5.6 MC that did not work, the slightly different shape of the cone on the rear lens allows the XL to operate. Though I'm happy to have the problem solved, what I originally thought was as simple as mounting up my trusty Fuji 90/8, has now turned into a punt or provide some stimulus money to someone via a purchase of a 90 XL at somewhere around 1000+. Anyways, thanks again to all for your input. I know a lot more than I did previously.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin