Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,020   Online: 764

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Does Stitching Count As Pano?

I'm assembling a LF "pano" kit centered around a Canham MQC 57 that I'm having factory modified for greater shift capability... total 7+ inches. Shooting two side-by-side 5x7 sheets nets me a nice 2:5 ratio.

My reasoning is size/portability. I don't get around as I once did and a small/light 5x7 is much easier to carry than a "true" 5x12.5 pan-cam. It's true the lenses will be just as big/heavy... I'm trying to keep that issue under control. The tripod can be a bit smaller/lighter too vs. one needed for a larger camera.

I'll be stitching the two images via a modified Epson V750 with the glass plate removed from the optical path for aerial scanning using custom glassless carriers similar to the Beseler 4x5 negaflat (film held flat via stretching) and with adjustable height on all four corners.

QUESTION: Does this process count as "panoramic" shooting in this forum? Or am I still just a little squatty guy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

In my opinion, no it is not true pano.

You would be better off asking this on APUG's sister forum, Hybrid Photo LINK-> http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds interesting, but is probably better suited to discuss at our sister site, Hybrid Photo.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're really wanting an answer I would say "no".

Your output, while panoramic, doesn't fit within the scope of Apug.org as it's a digitally-mediated process (digital stitching).

So this only leaves asking about the camera, which is still only a 1.4:1 ratio and doesn't meet the requirements of the Panoramic Cameras and Accessories forum:
    Aspect ratio of 2.5 :1 (or more of course).
    Now this doesn't mean you couldn't ask any questions you have about shooting large format cameras or working with a 5x7 to make panoramic images using extreme shift, but those would probably be best asked in the Large Format Cameras and Accessories forum here on Apug.org. If you're specifically wanting to know about digital stitching and LF shooting then I would suggest asking at the Large Format Photography Forum (it's a completely different website and not affiliated with Apug.org) as digital topics are allowed to be discussed there and there are also a number of guys doing digital stitching.

Of course, these pano guys are wonderful chaps and would probably answer anything you asked in this forum.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A panoramic image is a panoramic image regardless of the method used in it's creation. The earliest of panoramic images were assembled by using separate photograph segments. I would prefer to view two B/W 5x7 contact prints taped together to create a single panoramic image. (in keeping with outdated methods)
    Last edited by DannL; 07-14-2009 at 01:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't really have questions. Not at the moment anyway. I've been shooting LF since I was sixteen years old... been quite a few years since then... and I've worked with Photoshop since v2.0.

I'm just looking for a nice group of like-minded individuals who want to share experiences and maybe do a little buy/sell/trade.

I'll check out the hybird site listed above.

Heh... funny thing is I'm a member of another "hybrid" site that involves transplanting American V8 engines into little vintage Datsun 240Z cars. I guess I'm really into small, lightweight stuff that goes big and fast, LOL!! Some of those guys are running twin turbo or supercharged 434 small block Chevy's... many other hybrids too. If anyone is interested it's hybridz.org.

Sorry for going off-topic but the "hybrid" parallel thing just tickled me and I had to share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would recommend posting the unstitched images, simply cropped and side by side. Then you can get image discussion and critique here. I am afraid that there is little or no critique to be had at hybridphoto (unfortunately but also not too surprisingly, since it caters to the small union of two separate groups: analogue folks who want to do some digital and digital folks who want to do some analogue). Anyway, I'd say go ahead and post unstitched images and no feathers will be ruffled and we can use our imagination. I'd say that you just shouldn't post a digitally stitched pano in the gallery, that's all.

It's really not that most people are so allergically anti-digital that they don't want to see your stitched work, but... there has to be some reasonable line drawn between analogue and non-analogue processes. For that reason I do not post stitched, dewarped, or perspective corrected work here, or hybrid anything. I did do it once and learned that it just isn't worth the hassle.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only if you physically stitch the photographs together. Or glue them side by side as it has been done many times in the past.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    Only if you physically stitch the photographs together. Or glue them side by side as it has been done many times in the past.
    What if I use "digital glue"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    What if I use "digital glue"?
    You can do whatever you wish, but it wouldn't be analog then and beyond the scope of discussion in this forum.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin