Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,787   Online: 1188

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And that would be a rub. The sheet would need to be precisely 16x20. Gotcha.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    The sheets aren't exact sizes, they're always less.

Clayton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry. I know that. But for some reason I was under the assumption of actual dimensions rather than mere format. Took mechanical drawing in high school, was very good at it and it has stuck. I hear a dimension, I go with it, even if I know better.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How do you guys cut film in the dark?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Diane- I have a rotary cutter which has a guide stop. I pre-set the guide stop for one dimension in room light, turn off the lights, then cut the film in that dimension. I put the film away, turn the lights back on, re-set the guide stop for the next cut, then repeat the process.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I haven't started cutting yet but I'll be using a high quality rotary cutter dedicated to only film. The guides will be permanently taped to the board. This eliminates the need to move the guides and ensures consistency. This is how I cut paper many years ago and it worked quite well.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I see. I only asked because I have some 12x20 Portra and some 11x14 IR that I'd love to get cut to 5x12. Perhaps you might be willing to try this for me, Scott?

Diane
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    not to state the obvious or anything....

12x20 with 3 cuts gives you 4 sheets of 5x12 from a single sheet of 12x20.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Images
    Acucut(sp) will create custom Die patterns. The cost was very reasonable and they are great to work with. You can get used die presses for pretty cheap.

I was working with them on making a double 5x7 die to cut 8x10 down. I never had any luck with a high end cutter because of the film base being thick and the film shifting just too much. The project Never came to fruition because I had a serious attack of lackofundacitus after our car broke down. Even then they were very understanding.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I thought about the thing mentioned last night about sheet film being slightly smaller than the format designation. We assumed that the cut would be off slightly because the 16x20 sheets aren't quite 16x20. On the flip side, what size are 5x12 sheets? Presumably not exactly 5x12 either.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin