Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,387   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sheet or roll ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    If you are shooting nothing but panoramic, this cuts the other way. A roll film back and multiple rolls of 120 film will weigh much less than the equivalent number of 4x5 holders.
    IF I were only going to shoot panos, I'd buy a Fuji 617 and be done with it. But I'm not ever going to shoot only panos. I see in more aspect ratios than that. A failing, what can I say?

An alternative to traditional cut film holders is Fuji quickloads. Quickloads save a good bit of weight over traditional film holders. And presumably over roll film backs (I haven't done any weight comparisons myself as I decided against a roll film back and don't have one to weigh).
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are, as there always are, many "what if's" to consider that only the OP can answer. For me, the "what if's" clearly indicate purchase and use of a 6x12cm roll film back. But then, I'll only carry the light/small 6x12cm kit when I don't feel like carrying the 4x10in system... size/weight is the "major issue" "for me" for even having the smaller kit... and carrying several loaded sheet film holders is not part of the purpose of the small/light system. The 4x10in system I'll crop anywhere from 4x6 to 4x8 to 4x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I definitely prefer the compactness of roll gear when travelling, and I also like the rapid-fire possibility when the scene is rapidly changing or if I simply think I will need to take several exposures. But... yeah, I'd rather have a croppable sheet of film in my hands when I go to the enlarger. I had a 612 back until recently (sold it) and it wasn't seeing much use. It was very nice but it was just collecting dust. However, there is a *big* difference in overall equipment volume when you go to 617. For 617 and 624, the case for a roll back is a bit better than for 612, I think. I am doing 4x10 now and like it a lot, though I am occasionally tempted to buy a 617 or 624 back to put on there. I do hope that some logic will persuade me otherwise!

Long live sheet film...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ahh... if they just made 4" roll film and 4x10" roll film backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well... if you asked Shen Hao they'd probably make pretty much anything you ask for. I did at some point discuss the possibility of a 624 rollfilm back. They made me an excellent 5x8" back for next to nothing. I use 5x8 on the 4x10 camera, and like it a lot. Maybe I should try 5x10

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ^^^ or 5x12.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sheet film has all the advantages that sheet film normally has. However, if it were me, I would probably choose roll film. I would also probably get three backs if I was "seriously" shooting this format for a lot of my pictures. I would definitely get at least two.

First of all, there are some emulsions you can get in 120 that you cannot get in sheet sizes. Fuji Reala, Portra 400VC, Fuji Pro 400H, Pan F, Delta 400, Delta 3200, etc. I wouldn't use the Delta 400, but all the others are some of my favorite films. There are also the two 800 color films by Kodak and Fuji. Yes, I would use fast films in a view camera on a tripod, because I like the way they look. It always bugs me that I can't get many of these emulsions in sheet sizes. Second of all, roll film is cheaper per shot, because you are not cropping as much when you print. Third, the bulk and weight issue is a great advantage of roll film. Film holders are the #1 hassle for me when lugging a 4x5 kit around. Then, you have no need for a changing bag if you want to reload. Finally, I think it is wasteful to shoot so much that is just going to get cropped out, unless you want to utilize the advantages of sheet film that I mentioned, such as individual development.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Speaking of cropping 4x5 to have either that ratio or anything in between... one can always take two exposure on 6x12cm shifted up/down. With a 1cm overlap that nets a roughly 10x12cm image (actual size closer to 92x112cm) but it's even squarer than 4x5. Of course, you'll have to stitch them in PS and crop as you desire. It's just another option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    ^^^ or 5x12.
    No, that's on the slippery slope to 7x17. I know better than starting down that route....!
    Last edited by keithwms; 09-16-2009 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thanks to all for the variety of interesting viewpoints.
    I want to throw a "what if " into the mix.
    I want to use camera handheld at least half the time.
    However, there will be times I will want/need swing&tilt. I have only once seen a 6X12 back for less than $600. I am going to look at a 6x12 Fotoman with a 58mmXl for $1K (makes the back look rather expensive).
    I am trying not to paint myself into the corner of "needing" two cameras to shoot 6x12 !
    Any ideas ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin