Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 721

Thread: bag for 617

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

bag for 617

Hello,

Have taken the plunge and just bought a Fotoman 617. I plan to use this for landscapes a bit off the beaten track. I'll be carrying it in my hillwalking rucsac, a Macpac climbing sac.
    http://www.northwestoutdoors.co.uk/s...ct&product=599

(Macpac are a New Zealand based company who make great quality outdoor kit. This is very comfy to carry long distances, and the crampon bungee cord and ice axe loops make it easy to carry a tripod in a stable way. (In fact, it works a lot better than my Lowepro Dryzone which I use for my Pentax 67 kit).

For carrying my other cameras in the mountains I have cut a cheapo foam camping mat to size the inside of the Macpac rucsack to stop the tripod bashing camera gear, but, given the weight and bulk of the 617, I'd ideally also want to put it in some kind of padded bag which then fits into my Macpac sac.

Does anyone make a camera bag for 617 format? What do other 617 users use?

Cheers,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 09-17-2009 at 05:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Gavin, I have been wondering about this too. Check out http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp , these are for 4x5 and 8x10 but I don't see why the cases that fit inside those wouldn't work for what you want. I have one of these systems, set up for a 8x10 but have since modified that to handle my Fotoman 612 two cones and a Fuji 690. I could get another case for my 4x5 and through that in to. I have found these type of bags hold far too much, look I got GAS already! AHH. Post what you come up with.
    Hope this helped
    PBrooks

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Gavin,

Have you considered one of the large bum-bags (or fanny packs as the Yanks calls them)? I think that Lowepro makes a large one.
    If you're not intending to add lenses to your Fotoman, you could carry your camera in said bag, but on the front...

This is also a great way to carry your camera on planes. In fact, you can often "hide" the fact that you're carrying it if you also have another carry on bag; just point it backwards when you head to the check-in desk!! (Ken Duncan once told me that is what he often uses when flying).

Lachlan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheers for help folks.

Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine just sits in a bag from a sports shop, well I was given mine at a conference, and either goes in the main backpack in it or over my shoulder separately when shooting. I'm usually carrying a 5x4 as well and a TLR, plus another type of camera

Can't describe the bag easily it's just thin with drw-strings, I have two.

My wife would like me to buy a proper camera backpack but after 30 odd years I'm happier with a normal one, rather plainer thatn yours Gavin

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin