Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,367   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Horizon 202 Banding

So I have had the 202 for a few months now, I just came across a roll that i shot a few weeks ago and see that there is banding on most of the frames of that one roll. (this was an expired roll of tmax 3200 if that matters) The rolls that I have shot since then seem to be fine, (ill be processing an other roll in the AM that I shot today) Assuming this next roll is fine my question is this: what caused the banding on this one roll of film? Is a CLA in order? Any help would be appreciated.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vertical banding?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    yes vertical, about a the with of the sprocket holes (I don't think its and agitation issue because the other rolls of mine on that same rack of the processor were fine )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    no banding on the roll i shot yesterday, any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Uneven movement of the lens comes to mind.
    Perhaps the gears need some CLA.
    Banding on a Widelux is usually due to dirt in the gears and the Horizon is also a swing lens camera.

Shooter
    Holga
    It certainly sounds like uneven lensmovement to me, a fairly common problem with this camera. I certainly had it on mine. CLA as well as frequent use is recomended. Also do not leave the shutter cocked when not in use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Sounds like old film/processing

Quote Originally Posted by BenZucker View Post
    So I have had the 202 for a few months now, I just came across a roll that i shot a few weeks ago and see that there is banding on most of the frames of that one roll. (this was an expired roll of tmax 3200 if that matters) The rolls that I have shot since then seem to be fine, (ill be processing an other roll in the AM that I shot today) Assuming this next roll is fine my question is this: what caused the banding on this one roll of film? Is a CLA in order? Any help would be appreciated.
    Banding will appear as very narrow vertical dark/light streaks. The problem you describe seems more likely to be related to an old roll of B+W ultra high speed film/processing. Since subsequent rolls have been OK, I doubt the problem lies with your 202 camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    well to those who posted they had this issue, did it happen consistently or was it an every once an a while type of thing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ben, I have had my 202 for 15 years now, it gets intermittent use.

I have had banding, but usually after certain conditions have been met.

Firstly, the camera hasn't been used for a while and cool weather.

Secondly, it is cool to cold weather, the camera is being used on the slow swing speed.

Over the years I have used mine in extremes of heat and cold. I know that if it is cold enough for snow, then the camera will sometimes not run well on the slow swing speed, I get banding!

If I take the camera out after a couple of months of no usage, then I may get banding on the slow swing speed, unless I cock and release the shutter a number of times on both speeds before loading a film, then going out and shooting.

Mine is a reasonable unit, bought in 1994 on a whim. Once I learnt it's foibles, I have been very happy with it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I often experienced banding and flaring from direct or reflected light sources. It's the nature of swing lens cameras. It's hard to predict because you are looking through a static viewfinder but the lens is pointing in many directions during its arc. If you are finicky about "perfection" it will probably drive you mad eventually! I sold mine after a few months of experimentation mainly because I could see very few applications for the kind of photography I like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin