Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,524   Posts: 1,572,338   Online: 969

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    Roberto
    the lense axis "d" goes through the camera back. The small gear center is offset from it. The distance is the amount of offset from the axis line " D" measured at a right angle from "d" The image you show is a side view which doesn't show the measurement needed. A top view would be better.
    So, you say, in a top view would be like this ? The distance among D and H ?

Don't know about the #28 but it's probably a manufacturing #, not the pitch number. Your pitch is 32
    Yes, you're right: #28 is just a catalogue #. Amusing .....

Thanks a lot !
    Roberto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep it's the distance between h and d as drawn

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie young View Post
    Yep it's the distance between h and d as drawn
    Thanks Jamie, thanks Len, thanks Clayton!
    Now, it seems a clear and univocal description of the "variables" involved in the formula .
    The "variables" are (in summary):
    1. - the actual focal lenght;
    2. - the "large gear radius" ;
    3. - the "Diameter of film drum with average amount of film";
    4. - the "Perpendicular distance from center of small gear to the LENS AXIS": as made clear by Jamie, is the distance between H and D in the previous drawing;
    5. - the "Perpendicular distance from center of small gear to the FILM PLANE" (NEGATIVE IF FILM PLANE IS BEHIND GEAR: this happens, as clarifyed by Jamie, in #5, #6, #10 and #16 cameras);
    6. - the "Slit width";
    7. - the "Gear pitch" , with the meaning "diametral pitch" (rounded value of "number of teeth/outer diameter of the large gear, measured in inches").

So, after you give, in the formula (in http://digilander.libero.it/foto_ras/Cirkut_gears.zip) the correct "starting parameters" (or, as an alternative, fill with those values the file gearsInput.txt), you are prompted to type (I'm guessing from my trials of the program) the values (or - it should be the same - the number of teeth) of your smallest and of your largest "removable gear" available to you (the "small gear" above); finally, the program will determine the distance (from FP or lens rear nodal point) of the subject for which is necessary to use a "complete seat of gears" in a 1-1 step, from the highest to the lowest valued typed; the distance is expressed in inches or in millimeters, according to the initial choice.
    In case the resulting distance is negative, that means that the gear is not appropriate.
    This is what I've undestood: hope it's right ...

BUT (sorry, don't kill me ) a final question (really: no more questions!) is still alive. In theory of panoramic photography (as I can see from the articles in "Panorama"-IAPP Magazine, from 1999, downloaded completely: thanks to IAPP!) the rotation axis should be on the vertical of the real nodal point of the lens, otherwise some adverse effects could occur (blurring, I suppose). But in Cirkut it never happens! The pivoting axis is alwais between the lens and the film plane. In theory, the pivot should be in B, but in Cirkut cameras the pivot is in A .

What does it mean ? What does it implies ? No bad consequences, it seems, because none of panoramic photographers using Cirkut cameras reports them. So: 1) is the theory wrong? 2) are those possible bad effects obviated by some special feature in Cirkut cameras ? or is due to a systematic presence of Saint Veronica on the side of the photographers ?

Tahnks a lot !
    Roberto.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Len;

You mentioned that Jim Lipari had given you the formula for calculating gears for a No.6 Cirkut outfit (K/T=NP to film distance) and specifically the constant (438.46") to be used for this outfit.

Do you (or any other members) by any chance have the equivalent Constants for the other Cirkuts and Cirkut outfits?

You also mentioned later in this thread that the (pitch) diameter of the gear head for this outfit is 9 1/16" - again does anyone have this information for the other cameras?

Lastly, you mentioned the gear pitches used for Cirkut gears (48 for the No.5 and No.6 cameras, 32 for all others) and said that the Pressure Angle "isn't as commonly used as it once was". Does anyone know what the correct pressure angle is for these (two sets of) gears?

Regards; Dave
    Last edited by DaveM; 02-07-2012 at 09:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    #6 outfit gear specs are:
    32 pitch
    14 1/2 degree pressure angle
    9 inch pitch diameter

#8 and #10 ring gear specs are:

32 pitch
    12 inch pitch diameter

#16 ring gear specs are:
    32 pitch
    20 inch PD = 640 teeth gear
    All the cirkut cameras were made in small batches and there were continuous refinements, so when calculating the various distances you need measure each individual camera

Shooter
    Large Format
    What constitutes the "constant?"

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Thanks, Jamie;

In Len's post on this he quotes 9+1/16" (9.0625") rather than 9" as the diameter of the No.6 Outfit ring-gear; Roberto says he counted 290 teeth on his, and 290 divided by 9.0625 = 32, the DP of the gear, which is exactly what you'd expect. (Roberto: there is no rounding error - you need to measure from half-way up a tooth on one side of the gear to half-way up the tooth directly opposite, ie on the other side - not between the tops or bottoms of the teeth. Why? Think about two gears in mesh.........).

Adding this 1/16" (the tooth depth) to the ring-gear dimensions given in your post we get diameters of 12+1/16" and 20+1/16", which translates to 386 and 642 teeth respectively. Jamie, could you possibly confirm this (by measurement, as above, rather than by counting teeth - which would take forever)?

And does anyone know the Constants (ie as quoted by Len for the No.6 Outfit) for the No.8 Outfit and No.10 and No.16 cameras?

Or any of the above information for the No.5 and No.6 cameras (which use 48 DP gears), ie ring-gear specs, pressure angle (likely also 14+1/2 degrees) and Constants?

The reason I'm asking for this information is that I'm compiling an Excel spreadsheet to show the pinion gears required for each camera based on the distance between the RNP and Film plane, ie if you know the exact position of the RNP for any lens, and know which camera you're using(!), by measuring the distance between the RNP and film plane for any focussed image you can simply look up the required pinion on the table.

So far this looks OK; once I've finished testing it on my No.8 I'll make the table freely available for others to test, particularly on other Cirkut models.

Of course if anyone thinks this is impossible, please let me know why - you could save me a lot of work!

Cheers to all; Dave

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi all;

Len has responded off-line and confirmed (from Jim Lipari's notes) the 9.1/16" dimension for the No.6 outfit ring gear; he was also able to confirm Jamie's data for the Nos 8, 10 and 16 cameras (so my sincere thanks to you both).

I plugged these data into the spreadsheet and tested it against a number of examples I was able to find, both here on the forum and elsewhere. The results are encouraging - in each case the spreadsheet is indicating either the correct gear as supplied with the camera, or the next one up or down (at this stage I'm assuming this is because the actual Rear Nodal Point to Film Plane distance falls between the 'ideal' values for two gears).

I'm still waiting for my No.8 to arrive from the US (it's a long way to Oz!) but when it does I'll test to determine the rear nodal point position (and focal length), then try it at various focussed distances to see whether the spreadsheet values hold true. If anyone else feels inclined to assist in the testing process (!) I'd welcome details of your cameras, lenses and gears to feed into the spreadsheet - the more examples we can compare the better.

Cheers; Dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin