Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 945

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    No other camera brand will have as many lenses to choose from as Nikon.
    Not quite. The Pentax K camera users have a substantially larger number and variety of lenses than any other mount at their disposable, I think.

They can accept the Pentax K-mount lenses, as well as Pentax M42 lenses with an adapter. Plus, there are the almost infinite number of third-party K-mount and M42 lenses going back to the mid-1940s, beginning with the Contax (the original M42 camera) right up to the current offerings from Carl Zeiss in both K and M42. In between are the various offerings from Ricoh, Tokina, Vivitar, Tamron, Sigma, Cosina, Fuji (M42), Mamiya (M42), Yashica (I think they had an M42 camera), Carl Zeiss, Carl Zeiss Jena and the many others that I can't recall at the moment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To sum it up...

You can use any Nikon bayonet F lens on your old F body, except for the "G" lenses which do not have a focus ring. You could use them, but would not be able to adjust focus.

It is possible to damage some late model Nikon bodies by mounting older, non-AI lenses on them. That is not a problem you will have with an "F" chassis.

My F does not have the Photomic finder. I enjoy the sports finder and the waist-level finder. I can use almost any Nikon bayonet lens ever made on my old Vietnam-era bodies.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The great thing about the Nikon F is that it's such a solid camera that it will outlast most of us on this board -- and probably our descendants, as well.

I think this thread should be moved out of the "Panoramic cameras and accessories" category.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
    You can use any Nikon bayonet F lens on your old F body, except for the "G" lenses which do not have a focus ring. You could use them, but would not be able to adjust focus.
    All of Nikon's AF lenses have some sort of manual focus ring, although on some of them it's almost vestigial. The missing ring on the G lenses is the aperture ring. Therefore, the G lenses will not meter with the Photomic finders, and if mounted, will always expose at the same aperture setting. You could use a G lens but it would be very limiting.

Shooter
    35mm
    F mount

bellows, + film/slide copy attachment
    fisheye, requires mirror lockup
    reflex, 500 or 1k

find yourself a copy of nikon F and NIKKORMAT handbook with updates
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a good link to learn about your new camera:
    http://www.mir.com.my/michaeliu/came...konf/index.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Mounting Nikon Lenses

On the older Nikon bodies you needed to have lenses set to F 5.6 to mount them and couple to the meter... then rotate to the widest aperture after mounting. This told the meter what aperture it was metereing at. I can't recall which old prisms required that, but certainly my early 70's F2 worked that way.

Take good care of that F... it should last another 432 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One caveat to add. If you have the Photomic meter finder, it requires the little U shaped bracket to index the aperture for metering. All manual focus Nikon lenses (that I'm aware of) have this bracket, even the AI and AIS lenses. But I remember some manual focus third party lenses for Nikon that did not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Series E lenses don't have the coupling shoe either. One can be epoxied onto the ring, or holes can be drilled, then it can be screwed into the ring, like on the regular Nikkor lenses. If the original poster's F has the eyelevel finder, then the meter coupling shoe is a moot point.

With respect to Pentax having more third-party choices for lenses, that is possible, but probably not as big a difference as some people like to think, since most of the third-party lenses sold for Pentax were also in the Nikon AI/AIS mount. The only ones that weren't, were the ones sold by the companies that made their own cameras based on the K-mount. And, M42 lenses can be adapted to a Nikon body. Granted, you usually lose infinity focus except with the adapters that have optics in them, but they are useable.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    To clear things up about the "G" lenses, someone mentioned that they have no focus ring but I recall focusing my "G" lens a time or two so I looked again.

The Nikon "G" (gelded) lensed do indeed have the ability to be focused manually, but you can not adjust aperture, if you can or want to shoot wide open you could shoot a "G" lens on an Nikon F.

A problem that arises with this is that most "G" lenses tend to be made for APS or APS size digital sensors so you get some "artistic" photos where the corners are clipped off round (that's right I can't spell vigne... whatever) because you are using a larger format than the lens was made for. It has happened to me, that is why I don't discount using this lens film combination as it can produce an interesting photo and if you want round corners this will do it without post trickery.

If you really want the lens to work as intended on your camera use the Ken Rockwell list someone else posted a link to it does work, and has all the warnings so you won't break anything, and get the most out of your lens and body combination.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin