Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,066   Online: 1205

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which lens mount for Nikon F body?

I have just picked up a Nikon F Body. This is my first Nikon. Could some one please tell me which of the Nikon Mounts I could use on this body. I previously owned and used Canon bodies and lenses.

Which lens mount is appropriate? F AI AIS designations.

You help is appreciated.

Howard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was under the impression that all Nikon SLR's used the same lens mount, but you may not be able to use all the features of a particular lens/body combination.
    My Film Cameras:
    Leica M3
    Leica M6
    Mamiya 645AFD
    Leica IIIc
    Nikon F
    Nikon N80
    Minolta SRT202
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
    Minolta XG-7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the lens is a 35mm Nikon lens it will mount on the F body. As LaGrassa pointed out you may not be able to take advantage of all the functions. The current listing of Nikon lenses includes some with the "DX" designation. While they will mount on an F camera they are not suitable for it as they are optimized for the digital sensor employing a 1.5 crop factor.

An excellent site for you would be http://www.nikonians.org/ It's a nikon site with lots of useful info on all things nikon....analog & digital.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All non ai, ai, ais, AF, AF-d and some AFS lenses will mount on the Nikon F. Lenses made for DX (crop digitals), and APS film bodies won't work. The DX lenses will mount, but won't cover the whole frame. The APS lenses can damage the body. AF lenses designated G series won't work either - no aperture ring. Depending on whether you camera has the metering prism or not, only non-ai, ai, and AIS lenses will meter with the prism. All others have to be modified with a pair of "ears" to attach to the meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The F will work and meter with Non-Ai, Ai, and AiS lenses. The meters for the F were made for non-Ai lenses, but Nikon's manual focus Ai and AiS lenses also work because Nikon continued putting the old non-Ai meter connection on the newer lenses for backward compatibility. The only ones that do not work are the AF-Nikkors, they do not have the metering connection for the non-Ai bodies like your F. The AF-Nikkor category also includes the digital lenses and the G-series lenses, which are also not compatible with the F.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AF lenses work... they just can't meter unless you meter in stop-down mode. They can have the coupling shoe added, if you like, however.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No other camera brand will have as many lenses to choose from as Nikon.
    All manual focus Nikon lenses will work on your F. As already mentioned the more modern DX lenses will not work and the G lenses will not either since they don't have any direct or mechanical apperture adjustment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most everyone is assuming the F body has a Photomic finder. If it does not, don't worrry about the AI, A, etc. All non-digi lens will mount fine and work properly. As above, some digi lens might be useable as well.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin