Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,831   Online: 1116
      
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Noblex 6/150 U

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SE.London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    547
    Sandy, FWIW I use a Noblex 135UC, which I've had for a couple of years and it has proved very reliable. The small amount of lens shift I find very useful also the multiple exposure feature.

    What can be a little problematic is the mechanics of the slower exposures. For example, for a 1 second shutter exposure the whole process of lens movement takes approx. 1 minute to complete. Not too encouraging for that 'decisive moment'

    Like you mine was also a bit of a compulsive purchase but one I can honestly say I've no regrets. Enjoy

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    409
    Images
    5
    I have number 66 of the very first batch of 150s, still going strong. Superb lens. Only advice I have is that mine doesn't like anything but alkaline batteries. The drum speed timing is different with lithiums, with nicads and with Li-ion. Test yours, it is a much later model, but you may need to stick with alkalines.

  3. #13
    Russ Young's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Blue Ridge of Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    206
    Images
    1
    Sandy-

    I own Sam Wang's old fixed-focus 150 (with two close up lenses). Have rarely used the close ups and cannot recall the results.

    However, on landscapes, "Sharp enough to shave with" as Granddaddy used to say... Just be sure it is level!

    When I compare my images with Sam's, its clear that the photographer is more important than the equipment LOL

    Russ Young

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    Sandy-

    I own Sam Wang's old fixed-focus 150 (with two close up lenses). Have rarely used the close ups and cannot recall the results.

    However, on landscapes, "Sharp enough to shave with" as Granddaddy used to say... Just be sure it is level!

    When I compare my images with Sam's, its clear that the photographer is more important than the equipment LOL

    Russ Young

    That is interesting. Sam was over here just yesterday and I asked him about the Noblex 150 as I knew he had owned one at one time. He described it as a "near perfect" camera but that he could just not get into the format. "Not round" as he explained!!

    BTW, Sam has a book coming out soon. It is being published in China and I think he plans to sel it on Amazon.

    Sandy King

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North York, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    That is interesting. Sam was over here just yesterday and I asked him about the Noblex 150 as I knew he had owned one at one time. He described it as a "near perfect" camera but that he could just not get into the format. "Not round" as he explained!!

    BTW, Sam has a book coming out soon. It is being published in China and I think he plans to sel it on Amazon.

    Sandy King
    Sandy,

    Do you know what will be the title of Sam's book? I want to keep an eye out for it on Amazon.

    Roger...

  6. #16
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,277
    Images
    148
    Sandy, please post some images when you've given the camera a whirl. I thought about a Noblex before eventually getting a 6x17 camera and settling on a WA lens, but I still have a hankering - must try a camera with a rotating lens.

    Ian

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rogein View Post
    Sandy,

    Do you know what will be the title of Sam's book? I want to keep an eye out for it on Amazon.

    Roger...
    I don't know the title now but I should have a copy of the book in mid-May and I will for sure post a short notice about it on APUG.

    Sandy

  8. #18
    David Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    near Dallas, TX USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,304
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ... - must try a camera with a rotating lens.
    Spend about $200 (USD) for a Horizon and see if you take to the format. You can always sell it for what you paid for it. Although, I suppose that would be true of a Noblex, too.

  9. #19
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,290
    Images
    20
    I've noticed Noblex prices dropping on eBay, I assume due to the popularity of pano heads and stitching software, but I think a real swing lens camera produces a better result.

    I was shooting 6x17 for a few years before getting the Noblex. Lacking a 5x7" enlarger, I just didn't have a great way of dealing with the 6x17 negs, though they made nice contact prints, and seeing the sharpness of the Noblex negs really convinced me. Some subjects work better with the swing lens projection, and some with the flat projection. If I really need the flat projection, I just shoot another format and crop, or if I plan for it, I've got the 7x17" camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Sandy, please post some images when you've given the camera a whirl. I thought about a Noblex before eventually getting a 6x17 camera and settling on a WA lens, but I still have a hankering - must try a camera with a rotating lens.

    Ian
    I am going to spend a few days on a barrier island (http://www.ossabawisland.org/) near Savannah next week (March 16-22) as part of a visiting artist program and plan to do a lot of work with the Noblex, and probably 5X7 as well. The camera should arrive tomorrow and I will have a few days to get used to it prior to the arrival this Friday of a student doing a long four-day workshop with me on carbon printing. I think I am going to really like the format for carbon transfer, and for my style of photography, as I like to eliminate in most cases a lot of the sky from my images.

    And it is real nice to hear that the camera has a reputation for sharpness. If sharpness were an addiction I would be on a constant 12-step program!!

    Sandy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin