Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,831   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Noblex 6/150 U

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy, FWIW I use a Noblex 135UC, which I've had for a couple of years and it has proved very reliable. The small amount of lens shift I find very useful also the multiple exposure feature.

What can be a little problematic is the mechanics of the slower exposures. For example, for a 1 second shutter exposure the whole process of lens movement takes approx. 1 minute to complete. Not too encouraging for that 'decisive moment'

Like you mine was also a bit of a compulsive purchase but one I can honestly say I've no regrets. Enjoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have number 66 of the very first batch of 150s, still going strong. Superb lens. Only advice I have is that mine doesn't like anything but alkaline batteries. The drum speed timing is different with lithiums, with nicads and with Li-ion. Test yours, it is a much later model, but you may need to stick with alkalines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy-

I own Sam Wang's old fixed-focus 150 (with two close up lenses). Have rarely used the close ups and cannot recall the results.

However, on landscapes, "Sharp enough to shave with" as Granddaddy used to say... Just be sure it is level!

When I compare my images with Sam's, its clear that the photographer is more important than the equipment LOL

Russ Young

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    Sandy-

I own Sam Wang's old fixed-focus 150 (with two close up lenses). Have rarely used the close ups and cannot recall the results.

However, on landscapes, "Sharp enough to shave with" as Granddaddy used to say... Just be sure it is level!

When I compare my images with Sam's, its clear that the photographer is more important than the equipment LOL

Russ Young

That is interesting. Sam was over here just yesterday and I asked him about the Noblex 150 as I knew he had owned one at one time. He described it as a "near perfect" camera but that he could just not get into the format. "Not round" as he explained!!

BTW, Sam has a book coming out soon. It is being published in China and I think he plans to sel it on Amazon.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    That is interesting. Sam was over here just yesterday and I asked him about the Noblex 150 as I knew he had owned one at one time. He described it as a "near perfect" camera but that he could just not get into the format. "Not round" as he explained!!

BTW, Sam has a book coming out soon. It is being published in China and I think he plans to sel it on Amazon.

Sandy King
    Sandy,

Do you know what will be the title of Sam's book? I want to keep an eye out for it on Amazon.

Roger...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy, please post some images when you've given the camera a whirl. I thought about a Noblex before eventually getting a 6x17 camera and settling on a WA lens, but I still have a hankering - must try a camera with a rotating lens.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogein View Post
    Sandy,

Do you know what will be the title of Sam's book? I want to keep an eye out for it on Amazon.

Roger...
    I don't know the title now but I should have a copy of the book in mid-May and I will for sure post a short notice about it on APUG.

Sandy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ... - must try a camera with a rotating lens.
    Spend about $200 (USD) for a Horizon and see if you take to the format. You can always sell it for what you paid for it. Although, I suppose that would be true of a Noblex, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've noticed Noblex prices dropping on eBay, I assume due to the popularity of pano heads and stitching software, but I think a real swing lens camera produces a better result.

I was shooting 6x17 for a few years before getting the Noblex. Lacking a 5x7" enlarger, I just didn't have a great way of dealing with the 6x17 negs, though they made nice contact prints, and seeing the sharpness of the Noblex negs really convinced me. Some subjects work better with the swing lens projection, and some with the flat projection. If I really need the flat projection, I just shoot another format and crop, or if I plan for it, I've got the 7x17" camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Sandy, please post some images when you've given the camera a whirl. I thought about a Noblex before eventually getting a 6x17 camera and settling on a WA lens, but I still have a hankering - must try a camera with a rotating lens.

Ian
    I am going to spend a few days on a barrier island (http://www.ossabawisland.org/) near Savannah next week (March 16-22) as part of a visiting artist program and plan to do a lot of work with the Noblex, and probably 5X7 as well. The camera should arrive tomorrow and I will have a few days to get used to it prior to the arrival this Friday of a student doing a long four-day workshop with me on carbon printing. I think I am going to really like the format for carbon transfer, and for my style of photography, as I like to eliminate in most cases a lot of the sky from my images.

And it is real nice to hear that the camera has a reputation for sharpness. If sharpness were an addiction I would be on a constant 12-step program!!

Sandy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin