Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,899   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

The ol #10 cirkut did it again....

Just thought you might like to see a 78 inch long print from a # 10 cirkut camera. There are almost one thousand people in the photo. The slow shutter speed didn't help, but it isn't too bad.

The image was digitalized and posted on gigapan.org's site, but I assure you is is a film image. When you click on the picture you can enlarge it with great detail.

See it here:

http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/most_popular/?q=tlingit

Thanks for looking,

Ron Klein
    Juneau, Alaska

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    That is an impressive documentary photo! Thanks for sharing.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    great work. really awesome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WOW!!
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ron - It is great to see you are keeping Cirkut photography alive. I'm always fascinated by these huge group shoots. Do you have one or more wranglers to get the people into position? Use any sort of risers to get the rear people up higher, or use one of the really tall tripods? I hope I'm not asking for your trade secrets. I can't imagine very many people with the energy to attempt a shoot like this, even if they knew how you did it.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A fantastic shot. Did you use Portra160 for this shot, and how did you get it processed?
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    This was a semi organized photo. Yes, other people helped, but getting everyone to line up 25 feet or more from the camera isn't that hard. Elders sat in chairs, kids on the ground and everyone else just crowds in behind. Some people don't pay attention and blur but a lot of people hold still long enough so it works.

My camera was elevated with a 12 foot tripod but it was not extended all the way, There is a complication when you go high with tilting the camera and rather than fight it I kept the camera at 8 feet off the ground. In the past I have shot the same group at a higher level and they do look better but it is substantially more difficult in the space I have available. Pan shots make it look like there is all kinds of room but that is rarely the case.

No megaphone either. I HAVE A LOUD VOICE and remember I am only 25 feet away from most of the people. The back rows are less than fifty feet from me. Remember, everyone is in a 3/4 circle around the camera.

The film was Portra 160 and it was processed in Rubbermaid dish tubs using 2 gallons of developer and scrolling the film back and forth until it goes to the bleach tub and so on. Temperature is well maintained by the large volume of chemistry and I also have figured out a higher than normal start temp so by the end of the developing step the temp is below normal but the average is exactly the 100 degrees needed. It's easy, I've done thousands of roll this way.

Ron in Alaska
    Last edited by panoramic; 06-28-2010 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ron - Thanks for all the wonderful details. I'm a chronic worrier, and would face a shoot like this imagining everything that could go wrong. I suspect you have a "Lets get this job done." attitude, which is the way to be.

What is the currentt status of Kodak making color Cirkut film? Will the still do it if a bazillion dollars worth is ordered?

Len

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Love that shot - be great if only half the people there ordered a copy!

Only sadness being that no-one appears at both ends of the picture, old school tradition that one.

Cheers.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    As far as I know Kodak is still producing 10 inch Cirkut film. I have a fair supply (over 2,000 feet of Portra 160) but 400 is also available.

Photo sales of large groups is usually very good. I have had more than several where more prints were sold than there were people in the photo. The photos can be produced for less than $8 each and sell for $45 - $65 each depending on the length although I also sell smaller groups or school photos for as low as $20 each again, it's a volume thing that makes the money.

As far as someone running to both sides of the photo, I don't advertise that it is possible but don't mind if they do it. I usually tell them it's only right that they buy two copies.

Everybody likes having their photo taken with a camera that is very old and LOOKS like how a camera should look, you know what I mean, a big box with bellows, wood tripod, bits of brass showing, and always the black focusing cloth waving. The big cameras still have magic.

Ron in Alaska

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin