Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,412   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Horizon vs widelux

Greetings,
    I have recently become intrigued with using a swing lens panoramic camera but am a little overwhelmed at the limited choices of cameras. I plan to use the camera as a diversion and to have a little bit of fun with the wide range of view. I will continue to use my xpan when I seek a high quality image.

So my question is this... Horizon 202, Horizon Perfekt or a used Widelux?
    The Horizons are cheaper...do I get what I pay for and may regret it later? Is the upgrade from the 202 to the Perfekt worth paying twice as much? The Widelux are pricey and used... can I feel confident the camera will work well enough for the price?

There seems to be a love-hate relationship with these cameras and I would prefer to be a lover and not a hater.

Thank You for your help, Carl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You'll get a better camera with the Widelux. FWIW, the lens quality is really good with them, also...I used my F7 to make images I printed myself for an exhibition; got nice prints 20" wide from the 35mm neg.

You'll have to watch out for 'banding', caused by the gears moving the lens at an uneven rate as it swings from side to side. It's the most common problem with these cameras. If you can find one in decent shape it's very much worth the cost.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Russian Zenit Factory produces Horizons. If you can find their website , there are comparison shots Horizon to Widelux and Horizon is winner. Horizon prints have a faraway more correct perspective lines.
    But Do not let pictures fail you , Horizons are faraway smaller and lighter cameras than their muscular pictures. Perfekt have faraway better optics .If you visit lomography site and could find Horizon specific website , you can agree with their optics.
    I found a 202 and its plastic was very cheap .
    Perfekt have better plastic.
    Now the big deal , if you write to zenit , they give you their bank address and send you a perfekt for 250 dollars. I have their offer in Russian , it was like Communist Party Manifesto
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 07-29-2010 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you both for your opinions,

Colin, many of the images I have seen with the Widelux are in fact spectacular, but I keep hearing about "banding" problems and it gives me pause to buy a used, 20 -30 year old camera over the internet. How common is banding and can it be fixed easily and cheaply?

Mustafa, according to the Zenit web site the Perfekt is offered for the price of $511 plus shipping, this is the comparable to the price of the Widelux. I appreciate your opinion on the 202 not being the same quality as the Perfekt, for the ebay price of around $200 it almost seemed to good to be true.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by caoslc View Post
    I plan to use the camera as a diversion and to have a little bit of fun with the wide range of view. I will continue to use my xpan when I seek a high quality image.

Given your criteria above -

This was taken with the "cheap" Horizon:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...&cutoffdate=-1

As was this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shuttle022.jpg  
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by caoslc View Post
    How common is banding and can it be fixed easily and cheaply?
    I don't have that much problem with the banding exect in very solid areas, such as a cloudless sky. Even then, it's not awful. I got lucky in "Russian roulette", I guess.

I have read that the solution to the banding caused by the mechanical shutters is to get a Noblex with their electronic shutters. Someday, I hope to find a 120 Noblex at a price that doesn't cause me to blanch! :o
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Very nice image David,
    this is why I have such a dilemma, the Widelux appears to be the higher quality camera yet it has several issues concerning repair and price for a camera that has not been manufactured in many years.
    The Horizon Perfekt is capable of great images but is it worth the upgrade from the 202 which is being offered at a great price?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    David, excellent phrase "Russian Roulette", that is exactly how I feel when considering a Horizon, maybe I will get lucky..maybe not.

I looked at a Noblex and feel the same as you... someday

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/widelux.html

Banding is something you want to ask about before you buy. I too was very lucky when I got my F7 (through APUG, actually - one of many great experiences here!).

I just exercised my lens regularly, I used the camera enough that it got enough exercise but simply moving it with your finger and letting it go back is enough. The info on Jeff Bridges' site is very good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Horizon 202

Banding can be a problem with these cameras. The 202 is not a bad camera but well, Russian.... so you never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin