Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,822   Online: 914

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder if you could enlarge 617 negs by placing the neg diagonally in a 4x5 enlarger, with the neg carrier slightly expanded.

Anyway I would think that 617 contact prints could be very appealing.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for the Fuji and get a shorter focal length lens for the enlarger.

Enjoy, you will be happy with either.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I wonder if you could enlarge 617 negs by placing the neg diagonally in a 4x5 enlarger, with the neg carrier slightly expanded.
    Unfortunately not. The diagonal dimension of a 5x4 frame is 162mm so it is a bit short plus it will crop the corners off. However some enlargers, like my DeVere 54 have a larger light source/diffuser than 5x4 so could be adapted.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The deed is done. I'm now the owner of a practically new G617. The counter reads 064. Got the case, camera, special filter, rectangular sun shade and 4 other colored 77mm filters, yellow, red, UV and green. There is a step ring in the package it fits the filters but it does not fit the lens. The only thing missing is the manual.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a quick update on the G617.....

The foam seals were a slightly gooey and a test roll of 220 showed some edge fogging, but not too bad. All other functions are perfect. Tonight I removed the foam goo and replaced it with black felt. I used acrylic yarn for the channels with light dabs of Elmers glue.

Just got in 50 rolls of Shanghai B&W 120 and I must say that it is pretty nice stuff. At normal exposure and 8 minutes in HC110 makes for nice crisp negs. It does seem to need a couple of minutes in PhotoFlo to keep spotting at bay compared to other films.

Now to build a basic horizontal enlarger for 10" enlargements. I've got a Photographers Handbook dated 1908 that describes in great detail how to build enlargers, powered by window light, oil lamp and limelight (gas). Sounds like a bit of a project, but unless a 5x7 enlarger finds me, it will have to do.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    Just got in 50 rolls of Shanghai B&W 120 and I must say that it is pretty nice stuff. At normal exposure and 8 minutes in HC110 makes for nice crisp negs. It does seem to need a couple of minutes in PhotoFlo to keep spotting at bay compared to other films.
    I found that LuckySHD really loves to be selenium toned (the actual neg). You might want to try that on the Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzingoose View Post
    Now to build a basic horizontal enlarger for 10" enlargements. I've got a Photographers Handbook dated 1908 that describes in great detail how to build enlargers, powered by window light, oil lamp and limelight (gas). Sounds like a bit of a project, but unless a 5x7 enlarger finds me, it will have to do.
    Were not the first enlargers just upside down view cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    Were not the first enlargers just upside down view cameras?
    Surprisingly no. Often they were horizontal and purpose built.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin