Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,819   Online: 979

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could try Lens and Repro in NYC.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No Linhof in their price list. Once again Fuji 6x17 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'Star trail' shots actually are FINE with smaller apertures... if it's just the stars you need... keep it around f/11-f/16 and you'll be fine. It's wide field and other astro work you need to be wide open for (5.6 won't cut it - and you need to use hypersensitized film which is a custom setup these days). Flatness of field is ultra critical for that work - but for star trails - don't worry - your min exposure to see any significant trails are going to be at LEAST one hour (will cover 1/12th of the distance across the night sky)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fuji 6x17 is at least as good as the linhof...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sparky is correct. You don't need large apertures to get star trails. You just get more stars that way, and more of any ambient light. As you stop down, the dimmer stars are "removed" from the picture, and only the brightest ones will appear. This usually makes the pic look much better, in my opinion. Shoot too wide open, and there are a zillion trails clogging up the sky.

Those shooting star fields alone sometimes use fancy tripod heads that track the stars, eliminating the need for hypersensitization and/or pushing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Except I was thinking of trying out the 72mm. The Fuji goes no wider than 90mm. I can rent the Fuji locally, but was wondering if the Linhof was available anywhere. So far, I've found a few other places that rent Fuji's but no one rents Linhofs.
    Lens and Repro has the Horseman 6x12 with 45mm option which maybe a possibility. I won't know for sure how wide of an angle I need until I get to the location on a scouting trip in July. I'm planning ahead.

-K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    72mm on 6x17 is WIIIIIIIIDE. So is 90mm. IME, ultra wide lenses sound really cool on paper, but aren't as useful in the real world as moderate wides, especially in landscape situations. I would just try a Fuji with the 90mm and see what you get first.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt765 View Post
    Except I was thinking of trying out the 72mm. The Fuji goes no wider than 90mm. I can rent the Fuji locally, but was wondering if the Linhof was available anywhere. So far, I've found a few other places that rent Fuji's but no one rents Linhofs.
    Lens and Repro has the Horseman 6x12 with 45mm option which maybe a possibility. I won't know for sure how wide of an angle I need until I get to the location on a scouting trip in July. I'm planning ahead.

-K
    I was an owner of a Horseman SW612. You are not going to like the 45mm as the image circle barely covers the format at f/11, which is where mechanical vignetting ends. The 55mm is better, but needs to be stopped down to f/11 to eliminate mechanical vignetting and then a center filter is need to eliminate natural vignetting. Panoramic cameras sound really interesting for astrophotography on paper. The reality is very different. Wide open is not just a matter of vignetting, there are a lot of abberations at those apertures--not attractive with point sources. You will need a lot of testing to figure this out.

If you are looking for an all-sky camera, fisheye lenses work better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the info!
    Star trails are only one component of the photo I'm planning. The idea of using a 6x17 camera as the primary capture device is a recent one. The original idea is 4x5, hence the ISO 100 slide film as the only option. I'm trying to figure out what to use exactly.

-K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my one bit of advice for doing your star trail project is to follow the advice of astrophotographers and take your equipment out and first let it chill in the night air... you don't want condensation all over your film nor do you want your film shifting and buckling due to the film holder contracting while exposing! This is probably especially true with 4x5 - though it depends partly on the tolerances of your film holder...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin