Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,529   Posts: 1,572,431   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 90mm for 6x17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

90mm for 6x17

Looking around for a 90mm to fit to a 6x17. I have narrow down the choice to either the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f6.8 (or Caltar -N) or the Fujinon 90mmf8. The Nikon f8 is a little out of the budget. Both will cover quite OK but Ive read the Grandagon is designed for less light fall off at the edges. Is this true, and is it worth the extra dollars to pick up the Grandagon over the Fujinon.
    If any one has either for sale quite welcome to PM me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll need to be careful about the flange focal length, there's several mm of variation between lenses and if you don't have the right cone (for an existing camera) you'll never get it to focus. I sold a very nice old Fuji 90mm to someone on the Large Format Photography Forum (I think, could also have been APUG) a couple of months ago, he ended up returning it for this very problem...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would say that they are both newer design wide angles with similar fall off. Older lens designs like the Angulon (not super) will have more fall off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve: I know the Grandagon film/flange is 94mm while the Fuji is 98mm. This is a DIY 6x17, so at the point to pick a lens before finishing off the nose cone, but a bit of packing solves most things.
    Chuck: Yes I have a Angulon f6.8 and it certianly does not have the image circle.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Image circle and falloff are two different things. A pre-WWII Angulon does have the image circle, at f:64. But it has almost cos^4 falloff, and any center filter will reduce the image circle due to vignetting.

Anything Biogon-like has cos^3 falloff or close to that. Super Angulon, Grandagon, Fujinon, or others. There isn't that much difference in falloff.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used the fujinon 90mm, which I believe is the same used on the Fuji 6x17 and can attest to it's quality. Sharp to the corners when stopped down past f/11. Only downside is that it needs a center weighted filter.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All of these lenses will be about the same. The Rodenstock will be a little better for focusing on ground glass. All of them will need to be stopped down to eliminate mechanical vignetting. Natural vignetting will always be a problem, you can't change physics. Whether you need a center filter would be your choice. I have used both lenses on 4x5 and 6x12. They are both fine lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I've used the fujinon 90mm, which I believe is the same used on the Fuji 6x17 and can attest to it's quality. Sharp to the corners when stopped down past f/11. Only downside is that it needs a center weighted filter.
    Thanks, do you have any examples with and with the CF, I assume you mean the f8 revision of the fujinon 90mm. Ive got a feeling that a CF is an advantage with all of the 90mm at f8 and less of a problem as you go to f6.8 - f4.5. But as the numbers go down, the price goes up..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would I be right in saying that just because a faster lens has a greater image circle, the vignetting or edge falloff start around the same distanse from the centre of the lens, or does a F4.5 with a 235mm IC show less fall off on a 6x17 image then a f8 with 216mm IC because the IC is bigger and the falloff is further out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a suggestion, but you might look at a 120mm f5.6 APO-Symmar before you commit to a 90mm. When I was playing with a 6x17 back on a 4x5 camera, the lens I found most useful was a 120mm f8 Super-Angulon MC with its Schneider center filter The 90mm lens I used with it, a Super-Angulon XL, which I did not have a center filter for, was too wide and had too much of a hot spot in the center.

While I know the 120mm Super-Angulon covers, if I were to play with this again, I would try the APO-Symmar. Slightly faster, smaller and cheaper; it should have less fall off and still have plenty of coverage for an application that did not require any movements and would not need a center filter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin