Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,235   Posts: 1,532,939   Online: 982

Shooter
    Large Format

Cirkut camera question

I just acquired a Cirkut outfit and I'm a bit puzzled. The camera is a full plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) model while the Cirkut back seems to be an 8" -- at least it looks like an 8 1/2 in spool would fit. How do you tell for sure?

I'm sure I will have more questions as I delve into this piece of history.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The roll film for the cirkut attachment is 8" wide, as you said. Most cirkut attachment backs could also take 6.5" film by sliding the bottom of the roll holder. The camera itself was a full plate camera as you said. One issue was that the full plate holders to fit it were sized differently than a lot of other full plate holders, so you have to find the right size. The film was spooled differently than on the cameras that were just used as cirkuts. Emulsion faced out on cirkut attachment film, and it does help a little when trying to avoid banding.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, Jamie. I did a little more reading last night after posting that and figured out that it is an 8".

With that resolved, my next question is about film. I know that Ilford cut some 8" film this year -- does anyone know if there is any available and, if so, where?
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would talk to Fred Newman at the view camera store - he brought the film in from Ilford
    http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servlet/StoreFront
    If you find sources let the list know. I have my own stash right now but it's good to know what's out there. Happy to help if you have questions

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There's a Cirkut 16 on that auction site now - I can't even imagine dealing with film that big (if you could even find a source for it any more). The stuff Ilford has been cutting is only 8 or 10" right?

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 16 and it is a hard camera to shoot with. I have some film that I got a while ago, but when it runs out I'll have to figure out what to do next. Ilford would likely cut it on the yearly special order if I order enough and could afford it. Film has risen so much in price that I'm not sure I could justify it. Fun to set up though.
    Link below to van dyke print from the 16, cropped to 12"
    http://jamieyoungphoto.com/case%20St...ors%20pan.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice! Glad to hear someone is keeping one of those old beasts alive (but better you than I :-) )

Duncan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin