Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,697   Online: 875

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colour ULF film

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    But there are real depth of field issues the bigger you get. Quite a different ballgame than contact
    printing. Just how many of those tack sharp 11X14 negs are largely infinity subjects? Even with 8x10, the difference between f/45 and f/64 on a very large print can be significant. These are the kinds of logistical problems that someone moving up from smaller formats, even 4x5, aren't likely to
    anticipate. But I truly wonder how long this big, big print fad is going to last. If it's like anything else, the museums will probably exhibiting only Minox contact prints the next decade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, there is a difference between printing big and capturing big. Capturing big leads to "DOF challenges" but also very impressive tonality throughout the focus transitions and of course negs that are a joy to contact print.

Bah... I'm not going to get drawn into one of these format battles. All formats have their place and their strengths!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They should just go for the gold and remake the Kodak Colorama. 18ft x 60ft, and call it a day.

Then of course follow it up with the wet plate mini camera shots.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hey! If I was still a 45-year old teenageer with a lot of extra money to burn, I'd love to shoot ULF, preferably 20X24. But since I'm damn close to
    retirement and am looking forward to backpacking a lot more, I'll have to
    settle for something miniature like 8X10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well if you're going to shoot something small 8x10 then why not just pick up an aerial camera with 9.5" roll film, then at least you can bracket

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Well if you're going to shoot something small 8x10 then why not just pick up an aerial camera with 9.5" roll film, then at least you can bracket
    And you can use a motordrive to shoot at half a frame per minute...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    But I truly wonder how long this big, big print fad is going to last. If it's like anything else, the museums will probably exhibiting only Minox contact prints the next decade.
    Too funny and oh so true.

The noseprinters will love it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I was in an exhibit once where the curator liked to mix extremes, so he selected a bunch of my big
    Cibachromes and then put another guy in the exhibit who was also jeweler, but did photog on the
    side and was skilled at 35mm contact prints. He attached a little gooseneck magnifier to the top of each picture frame. But a lot of this mega photography going on at the moment seems a great deal
    like certain subject matter and treatment in the 70's, just printed way bigger. Then you've got guys
    like Gursky who alter the images in Fauxtoshop. But sheer size doesn't really impress me. I like making
    30X40 or so just because it brings out all the fine detail one wouldn't notice in a smaller print. But
    size just for size seems a ploy, esp at some of the obscene prices being paid for C prints which are
    going to differentially fade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in an exhibit once where the curator liked to mix extremes, so he selected a bunch of my big
    Cibachromes and then put another guy in the exhibit who was also jeweler, but did photog on the
    side and was skilled at 35mm contact prints. He attached a little gooseneck magnifier to the top of each picture frame. But a lot of this mega photography going on at the moment seems a great deal
    like certain subject matter and treatment in the 70's, just printed way bigger. Then you've got guys
    like Gursky who alter the images in Fauxtoshop. But sheer size doesn't really impress me. I like making
    30X40 or so just because it brings out all the fine detail one wouldn't notice in a smaller print. But
    size just for size seems a ploy, esp at some of the obscene prices being paid for C prints which are
    going to differentially fade.
    But the big prints really POP...
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 02-01-2012 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    But size just for size seems a ploy
    I agree and wrote a little APUG blog post on the topic of Scale and the Photographic Print, in case it might interest you:

http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/kei...hic-print.html

The bottom line is that there is only one print size immune to critique about whether it's too big or too small, namely life-sized 1:1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin