Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,902   Posts: 1,584,559   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this page of the somewhat pretentiously called "The Foundation for the Preservation of American Culture", as seems to have been setup specifically for this project, is the most interesting one:

http://thefpac.org/videos.html

Note also the actual travel camera does NOT have a functional groundglass back, instead, the ground glass and negative stage are inside the bellows, where the photographer will be, and the fake ground glass on the back seems to be used as live electronic plasma display showing what is going on inside the bellows...:

My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, like Manarchy said, it'll be like the circus coming into town.

Here's a thought: at a 35ft length, for a headshot with everything in focus, six feet high, what aperture is that for that DOF? Something just doesn't quite add up for that. I've poked around on the macro calculators, and it's just that somehow this isn't making sense to actually need a 35ft camera.

Lens Magnification and Depth of Field Calculator
    Focal length: 480mm
    Focusing distance: 2m
    Extension: 1575mm (about 5ft)
    f/stop: 90
    --------
    Magnification: 3.9:1
    And you'd have 200mm of DOF.

The prototype camera in his studio is much shorter than 35ft, and that's what he's using to make the current negatives. So, the actual camera is well under 10ft, and the rest is dark space.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Well, like Manarchy said, it'll be like the circus coming into town.

Here's a thought: at a 35ft length, for a headshot with everything in focus, six feet high, what aperture is that for that DOF? Something just doesn't quite add up for that. I've poked around on the macro calculators, and it's just that somehow this isn't making sense to actually need a 35ft camera.
    I think the *PLATFORM* is 35ft from end to end. The camera proper is not going to defy the laws of optics. But it is all about the hype and the show.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Engagement

To me the crucial part of this huge camera project is the fact Dennis Manarchy, anything but anarchy, spends two days with his subject to make the exposure - To me subject engagement is the most crucial aspect of photography - Added to engagement is a technique so deeply ingrained it works automatically, like strands in a rope, one strengthening the other

I digress - All APUGists, apart from the despicable camera collectors, can learn from the engagement aspect of this project

I wish to sponsor this project at whatever level I can, as an age pensioner only $25 or so, but if lots of us put into this project we might help it to fruition

John
    new call sign to be Grumpy Old Man

Shooter
    Large Format
    8 million dollars, is kind of funny, at least he is getting a lot of FREE PRESS

i don't really think speding a few days with his sitters is engaging anymore than spending 20mins.
    good portrait photographers don't NEED to spend 2 or 3 days to engage with their subjects ...

john chiara has been doing something similar for a whlle now ...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/...hn-chiara.html

although he doesn't do 6' negatives ( are they rephotographed a smaller format ? or ??? to get the prints )
    chiara's are ilfochromes ... and analog!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Oooops - There must be something wrong with me then, my best work with people, especially naked ones, happens after a few years of knowing and photographing them - That is how my best pics come except for the rare "gift" images

Shooter
    Large Format
    there is a huge difference between 2 days and 2 years.
    in 2 days the subject hasn't taken down the facade
    that he or she would take down after 2 years.
    2 days is pretty much the same as an hour or two ...
    photographing nudes requires the subject to trust the photographer
    a deadpan portrait doesn't require the same trust ...

8million dollars, a walk in bellows, lcd/plasma screen, giant ink jet prints
    it sounds to me that it is more about 20seconds of fame and a gallery show ...

i can see if he was annie L and needed a helicopter and 45person entourage ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-17-2012 at 09:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    PS - The precursor

Does anyone remember in which books the "Railroad Camera" was mentioned? - I mean this one, the image of which I have stolen from Photo.net, but no apologies as it looks like it was previously stolen to go on Photo.net

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0040PD-10140584.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	46477

Regarding the post above, even my professional environmental and arts documentation, in state and federal gov't collections in Australia, was better the longer I spent on the project and the more I knew the landscapes and people involved - Also, I do not photograph "art nudes" - My new work is strong naked portraits of strong beautiful women and the best images are coming from women in their 40s and 50s, with 10x8' negs celebrating their textural history - (The exhibition of these is booked for Fremantle, Western Australia in March 2014)

Also, I thought the figure requested on the Manarchy website is US$50,000, which seems very reasonable for the project - I have no way of understanding $8 million dollars, those sort of figures become meaningless to me - There is a big precedent for this kind of funding in the work of Christo, but he has had that aspect of his work wrapped up for a long time

New callsign to be
    Grumpy Old Man

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought about through Railroad Camera. The idea behind it was that the photo had to be a contact print for the PAris fair.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like something you might have your picture take with at Disney World. The guys over at DPUG are working on something similar...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6850263779_1f842114ee.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	46495

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin