Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,587   Online: 887

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

A Protar lens for 11 x 14 format?

Is this lens cover 11 x 14 format?

http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/BAUSCH-L...item5adca6c6c4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check the Cameraeccentric website there's 3 Bausch and Lomb catalogues there.

I don't think it'll cover more than 10x8, however there's WA Protars with much larger coverage. My 141mm f16 Ross Protar covers 10x8 and the longer FL's cover larger formats.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by normmamiya View Post
    No, that gives a pretty short combined focal length. I'll look it up shortly and post for anyone who is interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    No, that gives a pretty short combined focal length. I'll look it up shortly and post for anyone who is interested.
    You're right in that together the elements only cove 7x5. It was there in the link I posted

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Check the Cameraeccentric website there's 3 Bausch and Lomb catalogues there.

I don't think it'll cover more than 10x8, however there's WA Protars with much larger coverage. My 141mm f16 Ross Protar covers 10x8 and the longer FL's cover larger formats.

Ian
    I thought I'd used that focal length before, and had. The combined cells make about a 7" lens. I used one on an 8x10 camera a couple times when I didn't have anything else wide enough. I came surprisingly close to covering 8x10, just nicking the corners. The one one I had looks to be a similar vintage to the one in the auction (mine was barrel mount).

The B&L catalog I have (probably the same as in Ian's link) indicates that the relatively common (for not very common lenses) 11 7/8" (18 7/8" and 23 1/4" cells) should cover 11x14 when stopped down. I have that lens, but nothing larger than 8x10 - except Cirkut Cameras.

I think for any useful movements you are going to need the far less common #20 combination with individual cells of 27 1/8" and 23 1/4" and a combined focal length of 14 5/16". I believe that is the combination Walker Evans used on 8x10 for his RA/FSA work, though his was the Zeiss version marked in cm or mm. It is mentioned in the "Walker Evans at Work" book, but I believe they have the combined length wrong (my book has failed to come back from loan, so I can't check).

B&L made longer cells up to 39 1/4". Ken Hough found some of the longer versions in the Chicago area I believe. Any of the Protars with cells longer than 23 1/4" are hard to find.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi normmamiya

i don't know about that particular protar
    but i have a itty bitty 14cm f14 that supposedly
    has a very large ( 48cm ) image circle .. it isn't in a shutter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi normmamiya

i don't know about that particular protar
    but i have a itty bitty 14cm f14 that supposedly
    has a very large ( 48cm ) image circle .. it isn't in a shutter
    The eBay lens is a series VII lens that has coverage similar to a Dagor; I find them to cover just a tiny bit more than the Dagors I've had.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin