Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,625   Online: 1077

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an 11x14 for portraits. When everything works, it's fantastic. I was using hotlights for a while, but my models have encouraged a push towards strobe and natural light.
    The other issue is cost. I have an 8x10 back and that helps, but each sheet of 11x14 HP5+ is $6.40 at BH (compared to $3.50 per sheet for 8x10).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    martinez, yes, saw the price differences for film :-)
    among the movie lights, dedolight is very efficient and gives amazing quality of illumination too. naturally, it is spot, but because of the design, it is easier to diffuse than most other spots, with efficiency and lots of room for mastery with panels and various fabrics/filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    johnielvis,
    obsoletely agree, the time, the effort, the vision, the emotions and the expectations going into doing the art-projects will not like dilettante state of mind.. so, no short-cuts and excessive savings or building my own. Lotus has wonderful ulf cameras, film-holders, schnieder xxl lens to offer, and from initial contact, the designer himself seems a great man to deal with.
    basically, im sure i can manage with ulf camera, and the contact platinums will look great, and i will do my best to make it work perfectly... but the ulf camera (and contact print) is not a goal on its own and not an indispensable part of the vision and plans i have for future works. i guess some initial experience will be an intuitive guide, straightening out the ambivalence of fascination and hesitation about ulf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    btw, i dont know how about 11x14 with portraits, but the essential difference is between "roll film" and "sheet film" attitudes.
    either way, several film holders are needed, thats for sure. portrait is a delicate craft.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi vic vic

i have a 11x14 camera that i use for studio type portraits.
    its a century 8a, but i don't shoot film with it .. i use paper negatives.
    i made a 11x14 back and paper holders .. and eventually i found an 7x11 back with film holders ..
    using a big camera is nothing like using a smaller one. everything is a bit more deliberate .. and less
    portable ...
    paper takes the hassle out of the cost of film, so it frees me up to have a bit more fun and do things i
    normally wouldn't commit a 7$ sheet of film to .. it also makes it easier to process the film by inspection ...

i don't stop down my lens, but use a big old wollensak triple convertible wide open ..
    i have 2 monoblock lights that i use in soft b oxes its fun, and inexpensive ..

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    john, thanks...
    do u have any samples of wide open 11x14 for post, please, to give some impression how it look like.
    the paper thing is cool too, ilford positive paper ? i still havent tried that one

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey vic vic

i haven't used the direct positive paper yet
    but i am looking forward to someday using it ..
    ( i don't think is is available bigger than 8x10 in fb but then again 8x10 is a nice size )

http://www.apug.org/forums/members/j...ve-images.html

there are some paper portraits in my "album" on my profile page

have fun !
    john

ps. old expired paper works great since the fog helps tame the contrast
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nicholas Nixon is a master doing portraits with 11x14 camera. watch his work , i like his selfportraits.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Here is a portrait made with a 12x20 camera and 355mm lense by available light. The exposure was five seconds.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...imageuser=1190

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This portrait was made with an 11x14 Wisner camera and a 450mm lens.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...imageuser=1190

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin