Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,283   Online: 931

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

I'm all set to build an ULF Camera, but where do I get the lens ?

I'm all set to build an ULF camera. I have the resources, the time, and the can do attitude.

I just need a lens to get started with in order to determine what size camera to build.

I have in mind 24" x 24" and up, film and or / wet plate.

Film options include x-ray film as well as the yearly custom order by Ilford.

What this guy does is doable:

http://www.picturecorrect.com/news/w...uring-america/

Anyone have any suggestions as to where to find a lens ?

Could I make a lens similar to making a lens for a telescope ?

Thanks,
    Charles

Rom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a quick message to subscribe, i am clearly interested.
    All the best,
    Rom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go to mamutphoto.com, specifically http://www.mamutphoto.com/content/view/92/43/lang,en/ , for a list of useful lenses (and a lot of other useful information). You will need to know the diagonals for the formats you are considering. Once you have worked out what you want then just post WTB ads here and at the Large Format Photography Forum (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php) and also scour eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny, I just recently had the same idea inspired by the same guy, only I'm taking the cheapskate route and making a pinhole camera. Essentially a rather boxy coffin with a tiny hole at one end, to be placed in the back of my truck.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bascom49 View Post
    Sorry, I don't have any answers for you but this is really really cool and inspirational. Thanks for sharing the link. Good luck with your project.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're completely in the do-it-yourself mood:
    http://www.amazon.com/Primitive-Phot...ve+photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If looking for something economical you might be able to adapt one from an old graphic arts process camera. Check with local print shops or ebay. These are no longer widely used in the printing industry and are selling for very cheap--sometimes available for free.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You can buy a yellow big half an kilogram zirconium for 90 dollars and calculate your cylinderical lens and order a water jet cut. If you survive from venetian blind effect - less seen at colored zirconia - you have a excellent lens.
    There is a company who gave zirconia its name and sell this stuff.
    Other option is titania , synthetic rutile piece and order a cut for cylinderical lens.
    If you want glass , there are many optical glass sellers at US , imported from China , Japan , Germany and BK7 is damn cheap.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Funny you should ask about lenses. I've just had two ULF lenses on Ebay, both rare and in near perfect condition-- and no bids. One was a Dallmeyer wide angle Rectilinear No. 4, which covers 20x24. The other was a Dallmeyer Long Focus Rapid Landscape Lens, also covering 20x24. I was asking $1200.00 for the wide angle and #1500.00 for the Landscape lens, which was offered with its original box, lens caps, flange, and original yellow filter. No bids on either lens, which I find surprising. Why??

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Arthur, I saw both of those beautiful lenses on the bay, and was very tempted for the WAR #4, thats a beauty!! just a little out of my price range, I am a grad student so I'm not living life like a rap video anymore, but drop me a pm if you have any other lenses of that pedigree for sale soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin