Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Really Big ULF Users; a few questions...

You folks that drive honkin' bug ULF's (bigger than 16x20)...

Are you mostly fim shooters, or do you blend your own?
    How important is a razor sharp image to you?
    Or do you gravitate to a more mellow image quality?
    Do you Chaps&Gals use these behemoths for portraits?, grand landscapes?, high end advertising?, Gandolfi style art?...???
    What focal lengths and apertures are you looking for?
    Is a shutter mandatory?

Just curious.

Reinhold

www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    R-

I shoot 18 x 22" tintypes and ambrotypes. No film yet, but I do have a film holder. I use either a 24" Red Dot Artar or 16 1/2" Dagor, The 24" is a barrel lens that I use Waterhouse stops in, the other has an Ilex shutter. As you know, wet plate emulsions are terrifically slow (sunny day = 20 seconds at f32) so I shoot landscapes. DOF is a major issue at this plate size.

I'm impressed by your site and your products - in fact for years I used a Packard shutter behind my lensboard when I was shooting with a Dahlmeyer 20 x 24" lens (also Waterhouse-stopped).

Best

NWG

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nate, was that your 16 1/2" Dagor Joni was shooting with a little while ago? It inspired me to look for the 19 1/2" but I still have to sell one of my kidneys if I want to buy it.

Reinhold is making me an 890mm at the moment for my 20x24 Chamonix...I'm very excited to put it to use when it's done.

I want this soft focus meniscus for the secession photographer in me and the 20x24 f8 Goertz RR, Apo Nikkor 890 f11 and eventually the Dagor for sharp landscapes with perfect contrast.

Reinhold, as Nate and I are both wet-platers I suppose the shutter is a convenience easily sacrificed but maximum aperture is vital. I'm a portrait photographer at heart. The one issue I have is shooting head and shoulders on ULF without 2m of bellows to factor in. If you can make a fast meniscus, that doesn't overly distort at a shorter focal length, but will cover head and shoulders on a 20x24, you'd make me a happy camper...is that asking too much (tongue placed firmly in cheek)

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    You folks that drive honkin' bug ULF's (bigger than 16x20)...

Are you mostly fim shooters, or do you blend your own?
    How important is a razor sharp image to you?
    Or do you gravitate to a more mellow image quality?
    Do you Chaps&Gals use these behemoths for portraits?, grand landscapes?, high end advertising?, Gandolfi style art?...???
    What focal lengths and apertures are you looking for?
    Is a shutter mandatory?

Just curious.

Reinhold

www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    I like my 18x22 photographs to beas sharp as 8x10s. I use the 18x22 for portraits, natural and urban landscapes. I use a 30" 35" and 42" Red Dot Artars, also a 19" Dagor. All have shutters.

Michael A. Smith

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin