Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,486   Online: 933

Shooter
    35mm

Is this a VERY ULF Camera Bed?

Wondering through a huge antique store in Chicago this last weekend, I stumbled on this. Tagged as an 'antique camera' and nothing else, i decided this must be a bed for VERY large bellows camera.

In the lower right corner of the bed, running towards the back (towads the maniquin) is a flat gear rack. There is a solid steel bar (the cross section would be a 1/2 circle) that runs on top of the right and left wood rails of the top frame. The top wood frame is attached to the lower wood frame via a coiled steel spring and the spring is attached to a caster that is attached to the lower frame. Under each of the wood rails is a solid steel bar that is connected to each end and in the in the shape of an inverted 'V'. The two ends have a nut and jam nut.

The length is about 14' and the width is about 2'. It is about 18" high from floor to top of the top frame.

I have attached an annotated drawing to help with the description.

Anyone know what this is for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cameraframe2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bed of an old copy camera? Horizontal enlarger?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure looks and sounds like a copy camera/horizontal enlarger. Must have been a HUGE camera though - at least 11x14 if not bigger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This could be an old Bob sled from the 1924. Olympics
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    on each side under the top rail is what appears to be a tension adjustment bar with nut and jam nut on each end in an inverted 'V' configuration. what would that be used for? And, I love those 4 coil (literally) springs. I have never seen a coil spring like that. Did you bother to shake the top section of the frame? The springs are very effective.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin