Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1333

Shooter
    Large Format

360mm f/9 Graphic Kowa Coverage?

There is a 360mm f/9 Graphic Kowa in Copal on eBay, item 390567593492. The lens is said to cover 12x20, does anyone know the actual coverage or image circle of this lens? If the same design 210mm Computar covers 8x10 (13"), are we looking at 40" or so?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you looked over on Large Format Info yet? (www.largeformatphotography.info/forum) The die-hard ULF lens experts over there will be able to tell you for sure. IIRC the stated 12x20 coverage is correct, but how much beyond that I don't remember - it may cover with 1-2" to spare, so you're not going to be shifting it horizontally or vertically very much on 12x20.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Scott said! The 360 has been discussed a lot on the Large Format Photography Forum over the years, it's worth a visit. In short, some people say it covers, some say it doesn't. I've never seen any manufacturer info on this particular focal length, though I do have copies of datasheets on some of the Computars in shorter focal lengths.

I have Computars and Kowa-Graphics in other focal lengths, as well as a KG360, and based on the patterns of internal reflections the 360 differs significantly in construction compared to the others (which all have reflection patterns that are basically the same). Given this, it may not be valid to make assumptions about the 360's coverage just because it shares the Graphic Kowa name. I have mounted my personal 360 Graphic Kowa on an 11x14 camera; it illuminated and appeared sharp all the way to the corners based upon what I saw on the groundglass, but I never made an image to see just how sharp it truly was. I wouldn't know where to find a 12x20 locally on which to try it.

Keep in mind that someone else's definition of "covers" may not match yours. Especially on eBay.

Oh, and if you're using it for portraits or close-ups it'll exhibit more coverage than at infinity...
    Last edited by Steve Goldstein; 04-03-2013 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin