Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,158   Online: 952

Shooter
    Large Format

11x14 Folding field camera. Rochester Optical King Camera

hi

this is listed on ebay
    11x14 Folding field camera. Rochester Optical King Camera
    i want to do 11x14 photography.
    would this be a good camera to buy?

thanks

phil

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Perhaps you could add a link/item number, or outline its specs?

In addition, it might help if you let us know what your intended use will be (i.e. wide angle landscapes, portraits etc.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a single extension bed, so it would be good for landscape work, maybe not so great for portraits where you want a longer lens and lots of bellows. I'd confirm that it takes a modern 11x14 film holder, there are a few size variations. For any vintage ULF camera, it's best if you get the holders and the camera from the same source since custom holders will cost a pile of money and time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

11x14

It also does not offer any movements to speak of, no swings or shift front or back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    11x14 is pretty extreme. Add any movements to that, and affording a capable lens would mean you're J Paul Getty or Warren Buffet. It's your money. Straight landscapes are fine. Any architecture and you're dead in the water.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    11x14 is pretty extreme. Add any movements to that, and affording a capable lens would mean you're J Paul Getty or Warren Buffet. It's your money. Straight landscapes are fine. Any architecture and you're dead in the water.
    I beg to differ on this.

A few examples:

A sub$500 355mm G Claron covers 12x20. I just sold a 213mm Repro lens for under $150 that will cover 11x14 as a pretty extreme WA. I recently bought a Graphic Kowa 240mm that easily covers 11x14" for $120. A second hand 210mm Super Angulon sold last week for under $900 (about the same price as two new DDS for this camera - eBay #230961535294). 305mm G Clarons are often listed, and under $500 (4 recently completed on there at the moment, $429 BIN most expensive, $212 cheapest).

Film availability should be of much greater concern than lens availability. As, too, should processing (you'll need space for at least a 14x17" tray if doing it this way).

Shooter
    Large Format
    here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221214055344...84.m1423.l2649

would have liked to use it for portraits but i think it has 2 extension beds but i may be wrong

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post

he can get a wollensak triple convertible ( 1a ) for not too much $$
    3 focal lengths, 1 lens, all 3 configurations ( 13/20/25 ) cover 11x14 ... the only
    problems with these ULF cameras, is the cost of a film holder is often above 300$ each
    (some don't fit others do ) and the price of film ... all that said, there is nothing quite like looking
    at a GIANT ground glass and holding a GIANT negative in one's hands ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I owned a King, but in 8x10. They are wonderful, beautiful cameras that do allow movements, but two things should be taken into account. First, they are fairly fragile. Second, and more important, the one I had did not take modern holders. The Rochester holders had no ridge to lock into place and were about 3/4" wider than modern holders. It is possible to refit the back, adjust the modern holders to fit, etc., etc., but it may be easier to buy a different camera if you plan to take it out in the field soon after buying it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin