Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,214   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is pretty amazing, but I'd rather have seen more of the setup process and less of the hike. Also, all that effort and the result was one very expensively underexposed negative? Ouch!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can't see it yet till I get a better computer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    It is pretty amazing, but I'd rather have seen more of the setup process and less of the hike. Also, all that effort and the result was one very expensively underexposed negative? Ouch!

-NT
    Its a night time/long exposure, how can you tell its underexposed? The end result is phenomenal, in any scale or standard.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Its a night time/long exposure, how can you tell its underexposed? The end result is phenomenal, in any scale or standard.
    Oops, my French failed and I parsed "surexposee" as meaning under- rather than over-. And if you take a look at the photo as shown at about 6:10 (when the caption says "mais surexposee!!") you can see that the fireworks blew out in the center. The two 11x14 chromes look good, but as I interpret the video, it seems like Aziz the 20x24 shooter came home without a keeper.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    I agree.

I would have been much more frustrated about the slight movement. The exposure was quite subjective. There is no perfect exposure for such shots. You choose between the overall image or you aim for perfect fireworks and everything else is underexposed to a point where the whole image is bad.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Man, I wonder how a negative that big would translate in... le gasp... megapixels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first lesson is: PACK MULE!

That descent in the dark just scared me, though.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might be alone on this, but I don't really get the point. It seems to me when people use anything bigger than 5x7 or maybe 8x10 it becomes all about trying to manage impossibly gigantic equipment and the photography itself goes pretty much out the window. It always seems like there's just too much else involved to spend any time or energy thinking about the art.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Photography is art?
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I might be alone on this, but I don't really get the point. It seems to me when people use anything bigger than 5x7 or maybe 8x10 it becomes all about trying to manage impossibly gigantic equipment and the photography itself goes pretty much out the window. It always seems like there's just too much else involved to spend any time or energy thinking about the art.
    Isn't all the fun about getting there, the Journey?
    Besides, the big PITA isn't the format but the photo spot itself, IMO.

I know I'd have tremendous fun shooting 20x24... But I wouldn't go into mountains and remote places. Medium format would be the MAX size for such remote places...
    Last edited by NB23; 08-16-2013 at 11:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin