Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 794

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    How in the world do you mount something like that?

-NT
    How rude!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lens of that focal length might make a good astronomical telescope objective. A variation of the traditional petzval design is used on some professional grade telescope objectives, and a giant RR might work also.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Large Format
    Big Glass envy. Baby Dallmeyer will need a playmate some day. Makes on think of stripping down a golf cart and making a self propelled field camera. Maybe a used circus tent panted black for the bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Big Glass envy. Baby Dallmeyer will need a playmate some day. Makes on think of stripping down a golf cart and making a self propelled field camera. Maybe a used circus tent panted black for the bellows.
    If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. How about an old U-haul trailer, mount the paper on the front end and the lens sticking out the back end. Have a tray of chemicals lying on the floor of the trailer. When the exposure's up, just flick a lever from the outside to tip the paper into the chems, drive down the road for a few minutes to provide the agitations, and you're done.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. How about an old U-haul trailer, mount the paper on the front end and the lens sticking out the back end. Have a tray of chemicals lying on the floor of the trailer. When the exposure's up, just flick a lever from the outside to tip the paper into the chems, drive down the road for a few minutes to provide the agitations, and you're done.
    48' shipping container with a camera obscura on one side and roll-on emulsion on the other, same fixing method, slap it on the back of a Norfolk Southern container trailer to agitate it, and you're done.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I like telescope best, but don't know how to make one. I assume the little viewer lens pieces do something to make the image focus on your eye. Or perhaps I'll do a giant paper negative, I do have some large paper. Don't know how to coat paper myself to make my own. And I wouldn't want to make a 40x47" wetplate....right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I like telescope best, but don't know how to make one. I assume the little viewer lens pieces do something to make the image focus on your eye. Or perhaps I'll do a giant paper negative, I do have some large paper. Don't know how to coat paper myself to make my own. And I wouldn't want to make a 40x47" wetplate....right now.
    Simple as dirt. Place a 5x achromatic loupe at the focal point of the lens and you'll have a 23.5x telescope. Use a 10x (1") loupe and you'll get 47x, the focal length of the eypeice lens divided into the objective lens give you the magnification. Of course, you also have two doublets with focal lengths of 96" or so....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brilliant! I was just playing with an old optical device I have, with "AO" engraved on it. It has two levers to focus, and I figured it was an American Optical telescope ocular. But I wasn't sure. So I duct taped it onto a big cardboard packing tube, and held it up to the lens. Pointing out the front door, I could see bugs crawling on the fence post up the street! Thanks, I'm going to make this a little more workable with some PVC pipe.....!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take it out and point it at the Pleiades, and Jupiter, and...
    http://earthsky.org/clusters-nebulae...rldwide-renown

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Play paparazzi built an adaptor and focussing mount and use it on your 35mm cam. Or sell hq paparazzi 4x5 negs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin