Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,496   Online: 1124

Shooter
    Large Format

Choosing a lens: 1070 mm f/14 apo ronar or 1210 mm f/12,5 apo nikkor ?

Hello now I have my 20x24 camera with 2,5 meter bellow and I would like to buy a quite a long lens for portrait in studio.
    I can either buy an apo ronar or an apo nikkor... I have difficulties to choose as Theese 2 lens are about the same, but If you compare them, they are quite different.
    The apo Nikkor is much heavier, quiet a bit longer (but is it really different ?) a bit faster (but not much)...
    Well the apo ronar is cheaper... so, what do you think would be the best choice for what I want to do ? and why ?

thank you for your advice, Thierry M.L.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No advice for me ? should I buy both, try them and sell one of them... keeping the one I prefer ?
    Thierry M.L.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thierry,

OK, let's see if I understand the situation fully.

1. You are looking for a lens for a camera in which you can only to contact print the output or scan it.

2. You are looking at two of the iconic maker's of process lenses used in the photo reproduction / graphic industry noted for the quality of their output.

If I understand that correctly, then my question to you is: "Are you likely to see a difference that you would find significant in the final image?"

Bear in mind even the difference in focal length is less than 15%, and they are less than one stop difference in aperture.

Answer the question, and you might find some insight into your solution...

Hope that is helpful,

Len
    Last edited by Len Middleton; 12-09-2013 at 10:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If possible I would buy booth and then test them and take the one which works better for you. Good luck, Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TML74 View Post
    No advice for me ? should I buy both, try them and sell one of them... keeping the one I prefer ?
    Thierry M.L.
    Gee, you waited 10 whole minutes... patience is mandatory for what you want to do with your lenses. Edit - 12 hours and 10 minutes!
    Get whichever one is cheapest, for long extensions such as you will be using for portraits, there won't be much difference. I'd go with the Apo Ronar, just to conserve bellows.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd go with the Apo Ronar, just to conserve bellows...
    Get whichever one is cheapest
    So the apo ronar should be a better choice... I believe it is the one I will choose...
    Thierry M.L.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    schneider xxl?
    Fine, but send money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    schneider xxl?
    I would love to have enough money... or to be lucky enough... A friend of mine found a fujinon A 600 mm a few moths ago for less than 1 € per mm...
    Thierry M.L.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Finaly I have bought both of them, I will try them and decide after which one I will keep and which one will go for sale...
    Thierry M.L

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin