Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,245   Online: 783

Shooter
    Large Format

ULF Film Cutting

I have some Fuji Acros 8x10 that I would like to cut down to 5x7. While I could do this myself with a rototrim used for paper, I sense that this approach could scratch the film. There must be a way to do this without scratching the film. Maybe a service bureau/lab? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Craig

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Craig,
    I use a rototrim with a premade guide (for darkroom conditions) to cut 8x10 down to WP. I've not had a problem with scratching even on softer films like Foma100. If you're worried, try white cotton gloves.

SimonH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.varotechnical.com/
    $50 setup charge plus a per sheet charge.
    I would NOT where cotton gloves since they can leave fibers onyour film. Surgical gloves up to your elbows would be the way to go to insure dead skin and hair stay where they belong.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Howers View Post
    Hi Craig,
    I use a rototrim with a premade guide (for darkroom conditions) to cut 8x10 down to WP. I've not had a problem with scratching even on softer films like Foma100. If you're worried, try white cotton gloves.

SimonH
    Hi Simon - I checked with Rotatrim, and their response was "We do not have a trimmer designed for this, unfortunately." Can you please tell me more about the 'premade guide (for darkroom conditions)' -- is that guide just the one to set the dimensions of the film to cut in the darkroom? My concern with a rotatrim is sliding the film under the guide next to the cutting blade without scratching it. Do you go emulsion up or emulsion down? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cut double sided X-Ray, which is very easily scratched with a cheap Costco cutter. I use the chop blade, it also has a rolling round blade. I set up matte board stops with gaff tape and cut one piece at a time. Usually 7x17 Kodak CSG which needs only 3 cuts to produce 3 sheets of 5x7. Since it's X-Ray I can do it under LED red light.

With all that practice, normal film is easy under full dark.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Craig ... I have used my Rotatrim to cut down 11 x 14 film to 8 x 14 and 7x17 film to 5x7 and did not have any problems. I did make sure of lifting the plastic cutting guide above the film when setting it to avoid possible scratching. To date, all of this film came out fine without problems.

Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    I sandwich clean copier paper between the film sheets, so the hands and blades never touch the flat surface of the film. I use a pair of night vision goggles and a Rotatrim. Works well. No scratches. Clean film.

NWG

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin