Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,696   Online: 970

Shooter
    Medium Format

Building a Camera Obscura

Hello all,

I am building a camera obscura that will be used as a screening room as opposed to making large images with. My brightness needs to be superior because the imagery being captured in the camera will be a live performance that viewers observe from inside the camera. The obscura is going to have an 11 foot focal depth. I am curious to see if anyone has any insight on what kind of lens might help with this. I have contacted an artist who is doing something similar but he is taking some time to get back to me. He seems to be using something that exceeds 1000mm. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A photo group I'm part of did a camera obscura a couple of years ago. We ordered a simple positive meniscus lens with the help of an opthamologist member of the group. If you're saying that the wall of the obscura will be 11 feet (3353mm) from the lens and we estimate the performers are also 11 feet from the lens--you'd need a focal length of 1676mm. That's a diopter of +0.60. The largest blanks we could order were 75mm, so that would be f/22--acceptable for a darkened camera obscura (as long as the performers are brightly lit). The diopters are available in increments of 0.12, so you'd round off to whatever multiple of 0.12D is closest to the diopter you need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera obscura.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	82146

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can cheaply make very long focal lengths by combining plus and minus dioptre spectacle lens with the same numerical power but with opposite signs (of course). When the lenses are in contact they cancel and the focal length is infinite. When the lenses are separated slightly a positive power appears. Gullstrand's Equation explains the underlying calculations.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe ask Reinhold to make you a massive fast meniscus lens?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They make these things called projectors :-p I think they call the room you're talking about a "moving picture theater"

Pay no attention to me... Carry on...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All of these ideas have helped greatly. I have a good understanding now of what I might need. Had a few questions via research discoveries:

would I be able to make something useful out of an darkroom enlarger condenser lens?
    what resources are available for information on lenses/custom lenses?
    Where might I find spectacle lenses?

thank you all so much for your help

Shooter
    Medium Format
    also, what about fresnel lenses? do they create large or small image circle diameter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonclements View Post
    Where might I find spectacle lenses?
    I order mine from my local optometrist. I got 75mm +2 dioptre and a 75mm -2 dioptre spectacle lenses for $20 each and now can make any focal length from infinity to 500mm by arrangingly them appropriately. I assured the optometrist that the lenses were for experimental purposes and not for vision correction or medical purposes.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin