Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,272   Posts: 1,680,967   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

I need a sharp normal lens for 16x20 landscapes...

I posted this over on LFF but have kind of been running around chasing my proverbial tail with it. Basically I need lenses that will cover 16x20 ULF format at infinity, preferably with some degree of movements. What I have gleaned so far that other than rare and super pricey Schnieder XXL lenses like the 550, it is either going to have to be a Nikkor 450mm F9 M or something longer than a 30" Artar or 760 Apo Nikkor.

I'm not willing to go to a smaller format as it does not work for the markets I have in mind, so 16x20 it is. So rather than what you have heard, what are shooters of 16x20 actually using for landscapes at infinity?

I want it sharp in the corners, I don't want these prints looking like they were made in 1870, that is not my style, I need sharp.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Don't forget the tripod needs to be rock solid as well.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I saw a photo the other day taken during the Franco-Prussian War, circa 1870, and it was sharp from corner to corner. It would seem there is a superior attitude wafting around which does not seem to square with the facts.
    Hey, I am open, I am just getting way too much inconclusive information. I just need a good 600mm-800mm lens, preferably in shutter but fully understand how tough that can be.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Symmar-S 9.4/480mm should be able to barely cover the format at infinty image circle is 500mm 20in is circa 508mm. The Schneider 355mm G-Claron should cover as well, the Fuji 450mm f8 cmw is another lens that covers the format.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    The Symmar-S 9.4/480mm should be able to barely cover the format at infinty image circle is 500mm 20in is circa 508mm. The Schneider 355mm G-Claron should cover as well, the Fuji 450mm f8 cmw is another lens that covers the format.

Good luck
    Thanks but those are a bit short in FL, I am looking for something to pair with the 450 Nikkor like in the range of 600-800mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you checked out the 11x14 lens chart on LFPF? Looks like a Fujinon C 600mm might be the ticket if you can find one.

Based on the information on that chart the Nikkor 450mm M doesn't even cover 11x14?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Have you checked out the 11x14 lens chart on LFPF? Looks like a Fujinon C 600mm might be the ticket if you can find one.

Based on the information on that chart the Nikkor 450mm M doesn't even cover 11x14?
    Sandy King said the 450 covered up to 20x24 if stopped way down and was sharp but the 600C was not too hot in the corners.

I figure I will give this about a month and if I am still spinning my wheels I will just give up on it completely or until I can find and afford a 550XXL. It's not like my 16x20 prints from 4x5 Tmax are lacking in any way....

It's crazy though, I did lots of Google searches, over 100 pages of searches on here and LFF's lens section and I am still empty handed....wtf?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have checked out the 19 or 24" Meyer Double Anastigmat, 18" Ross Homeocentric, and possibly 24" B&L Process Apochromat and possibly 30" Goerz Apochromat Atar?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you got the money honey, ultrahighresolution.de might part with that 48" Aero-Ektar. Although something tells me that a FA-XXL may be cheaper.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to meet up with Hugo from Chamonix next month to check out his 16x20, he seems to favor a 24" Red Dot Artar and a 760 Nikkor for his landscape work.

A 48" lens is too long, the bellows only go to 1,050 not to mention that is getting shallow in terms of depth of field.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin