Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,447   Posts: 1,643,471   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format

My UL 20 x 59 inch camera build in progress

Hi all,

unusual circumstances have propelled me into building a rather large format camera film size 50 cm by 150 cm, (almost 20 by 59 inches). The building has already taken 2nd stage and progressed substantially, more can be found on my web here http://cargocollective.com/martinzau...-format-camera

Please feel free and give your feed back, both good and bad.

Cheers all
    Martin aka Dogumentor
    Last edited by Dogumentor; 03-01-2015 at 10:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy crap on a crapstick, that's huge. Nothing like a camera that can double as a sleeping bag.

Seeing as you've got the mould for the bellows, are you going to make another one?

ps, what kind of lens can do 1000mm 100 degrees? Or is that custom made too?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Wow Dr Croubie, that was a quick reply.

I kept the mold for the bellows in case of mishap with the finished one. I hope don't have to do another one.
    The lens was custom made by a professor at a local (Taiwan) university. I am the builder of the camera, and my mate is the photographer, who approached someone, who approached someone else, who approached me to build it. We managed to get a Taiwan Government Artist Foundation funding for part of the cost. So the project got from building something to "but seriously now". Our aim is to test shoot within 2 months.

Cheers
    Martin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Here what it looks like after first time assembly for lens test. Little monster I must admit, yet still (trans)portable, so of sorts.

Cheers
    Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_1950.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love the "make it work as you go" approach. It's more time consuming, but I think you learn more, and get a better finished project. The whole thing is incredible. Good job!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hi momus

it is the way I have build most successful projects. In my teen years, I had my own B/W darkroom ( and subsequent Ciba Chrome) and I liked to do bigger posters. So I am not quite a novice to the subject in general, but I never build a camera.

Use of the camera will be my mate who "commissioned" it and once finished I will then take 2nd place and follow him on his first outings.

Many problems still to solve: Initially we intend to produce our own film (thin paper) with light sensitive chemicals for the negative, then contact/expose (excuse if I not use the right term) this developed neg on yet another rough texture handmade and coated paper. The result should resemble a Chinese Landscape print, hence the size. Google " Lang Ching-shan " and you get the idea.

We will see, I keep you all posted. I will same time update my web site to keep information on the go.

Cheers
    Martin
    Last edited by Dogumentor; 03-02-2015 at 06:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If it is of any help, Ilford will be doing their annual ULF film run shortly - I'm sure if you talk to them, they can cut a few sheets to the size you require.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks! I will tell my mate to check it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great project! Always fun to see people build big cool cameras. What kind of lens is it? Doug Bush built a big camera back in the 80's or 90's. Another person I knew built a 16x36" camera that used 16" cirkut film. I use a 16" pan camera occasionally, but it only has to cover a 16" x 1/4" window, though it makes a 16" by 4-18 foot image. Keep updating as you go. You could certainly start by getting paper of litho film in rolls. Ilford has had 20" by 50 foot film listed in their elf run, but it's pretty pricey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Lens spec.: 1000 mm, f 14-64 (?), 100° view angle
    It is a custom made lens my mate happen to know someone was producing. You can see the camera full build and re-build (yes, I am doing it for the second time) in the link pasted in the first post.

As to film.....really a headache, so was most anything else, just tackle one problem as it comes along, if no solution, let it go and move on to the next. Pretty much what you may see when you read my web page.

There is already very good advice coming along as for film, and I am sure more more good advice on future topics will come along, that is precisely why I post here, and to share my experience with you. Thank you all.

Cheers
    Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin