Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,179   Online: 1160

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

7 x 17 Korona but I really wanted a 8 x 20

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    8x20 Korona with 3 S&S holders. I wish it was a bit more sturdy, but I've made fine images with my big Korona.

8x10 Century Universal. I great light and surprisingly sturdy camera.

4x5 Wista SP. My "mini format" will get more use this year because of great recent results with diginegs for Pd/Pt. But we don't talk about that here....

Linas

PS - Michael, why are you photographing upside down Bundt cake pans in Ireland?
    Linas Kudzma

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I love my 8x10. I've shot that most of my photographic lifespan. I recently added a 12x20 a few years back. It's acutally easier to carry than the 8x10 due to the pack I made. Both Canhams as well. Kieth tried to talk me into a 20x24 for what, 18 grand? I politely passed. I also shoot (canhams as well) 4x5 and 5x7 from time to time, but the smaller formats are, well, smaller. (not that larger negs are better, it's just the way I see photographically)
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

12x20 F&S 8x20/12x20 Wisner and a mint 8x20 Korona for the panoramic and 11x14, 8x10 and 5x7 for the rest of what deserves to be photographed.

I will received an 8x20 back from Canham soon and the 8x20 Korona will have to go. It is always a shame to let fine cameras go but being able to switch between 8x10 and 8x20 on the Canham camera base with such a light package is very appealing.

Cheers!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    7x17". I like very much 8x20, but 7x17 is easier to work with in a small darkroom like mine, and the equipment less bulky than 8x20 in the field, I can easily carry it in a relatively small backpack. The space is very interesting to explore with a long format. The camera is a Canham.

Jimmy

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a 11x14 B&J. Moved to ULF nine months ago and only regret it when I have to move the camera. After a few near-ruptures carrying the damn thing across the road I have decided to leave it at home for portrait work and use an 8x10 or 5x7 for everthing else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    10x20 and 8x20 with reducing film holders.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not sure why I didn't throw in back in April? Missed it somehow.

7X17 Folmer in beautiful condition but only one original viable film holder. I have 3 S&S holders for it too but lots of light leak troubles.

8X20 Korona. A nice original camera with 2 original holders and 2 newer ones that I don't know who made. All 4 work fine.

11X14 Seneca that is torn down getting restored. It's a bit tired perhaps but I think it will be OK if I'm careful with it. The brass front standard supports are a weak spot on these.

12X20 Folmer & Schwing with 2 Hoffman holders. A beauty.

14X17 Wisner that's not quite in my posession yet. It's made this list twice. Once as WFW's and now as mine.

Century 8 studio 11X14. A gorgeous camera if you need 48" bellows for that head and shoulders shot with a 22" Petzval.

I think each of the formats has strengths and weaknesses. Ask me again in 20 years and perhaps one or 2 of the sizes will have risen like cream to the top.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky
    Here's a recent 7x17 image that utilizes the format in a fairly non-traditional manner: http://www.mutmansky.com/
    [SIZE=3]Yes very nice image, but please explain to us why you photographed that yummy chocolate bundt cake with your 7x17??? [/SIZE]
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Richard Ritter's 7x17 camera. I had the opportunity to take his prototype for a test drive at a Fine Focus Workshop in May. This camera will shoot both horizontals and verticals without having to tilt the tripod head 90 degrees. It can also be updated to a different format by purchasing a different back and bellows.

Almost all of my 8x10 lenses will cover 7x17. From the newsgroups it seems Kodak was pleasantly surprised by the amount of 7x17 TMY film ordered thru JandC this spring, so the availability of film seems more certain than other ULF sizes. 7x17 film holders are available, both used and new.

7x17 just seems like the ideal format to me.

John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin