Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,109   Online: 853

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    I hope to be using a 7X17 Korona - have almost completed its refurbishing. Also use an 8X10 B&J monorail in my studio and 4X5 Shen-Hao in the field.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I posted in this thread months ago. all the info still holds true.

but this really made me think about something, I see a few people in here mentioned the lens or lenses the shooting with.

Ive found that the longer I shoot with the larger formats the more and more I shoot with usually only one lens in each format. I have a few lenses that cover 7x17: a 355mm G Claron, a 270mm WA G Claron, a Hexanon 300mm, and an old velostigmat 10" lens that covers for some interior and more detail shooting. One of the things Ive noticed more and more is my tendency to never shoot with the other lenses. Ive found literally 99% of my shooting in 7x17 is with one lens, the 355 G Claron. It even holds true in my 8x10 shooting, I have a few lenses that cover but only use the 300mm Nikkor 5.6 for a majority of my shooting. For the longest time I hauled all these lenses around when I went out with my 7x17 but over the last month Ive not even bothered to haul any of them around aside from the 355mm G Claron thats mounted on the camera. Granted it makes my pack lighter, but thats not the sole reason for the skimming of glass.
    Maybe Im thinking too much about it. But there seems to be something to it, at least in my mind, the concept of acclimatizing yourself and your vision to a certain lens and its field of view. Things always seem to just look "wrong" or off when I mount another lens to the camera. Too much in the frame, too wide, or it makes me move the camera around more than Id usually move it, never quite looking right.
    I find this "rule" to be interesting for me. Anyone else find it to be true?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not shoot ULF. But, my largest format at present is my Linhof Technikardan 45S.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    Anyone else find it to be true?
    Yes, very much so. Though I have several lenses for the P67, I only used to use the 200 for most work. Now that I've added a fourth, a 135, I like it so much that I now use it almost exclusively. I only had two lenses for my 4x5, but of the two I almost always choose the 210. But I just bought a Fujinon 250 f6.3 and I think that's likely to become my one and only favorite. And the reason, in both cases, is that those choices seem most in tune with the way I usually 'see' images.

It's a far cry from the days when I used a 35mm camera and went whizzing through the various possibilities with a zoom. I could never photograph that way again.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    7 x 17 and several months ago added 20 x 24 to the mix. Am enjoying both but when the energy level is up nothing beats the 20 x 24. Did my first head and shoulder shots of my four year old son and six year old daughter a week or so ago. Wild to see them bigger than life but still with some innocence in the eyes. Now if I could just figure out how to get them into the proper file size I might even post them in the gallery. I take the 7 x 17 with me on my business trips as it will still fit in the overhead and gives me a great outlet instead of CNN in the hotel!

Both are great.

Monty

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Still have 2 SL66 bodies with 40 Distagon and up, then went to a new 8x10 Deardorff in 1976 and still have it then a BJ 11x14 but rapidly sold it so as to get a 11x14 Deardorff with revolving 8x10 reducer. Finally after a workshop with Arentz 2 years ago was fortunate to buy Keriks 12x20 Lotus and have acquired 7 holders and use mainly a 355 G but also several others. I am designing a backpack frame to hold the camera and holders for the 12x20. Don't enjoy shooting from the road. I really love the Lotus. Have to go now and pump iron.

Tav

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hey Monty,
    Let me know if you want me to design a backpack for your 20x24 and 2 holders. Knee replacements are cheap these days................Tav

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I didn't realize that a weight belt would become a photo accessory but since getting the 20 x 24 I don't leave home without it. It helps on that one man set up! I'll get back to you about that backpack, me thinks it might ought to look eerily similar to a llama!

Monty

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I use a 7 x 17 phillips and an 8 x 10 wehman. Mostly the 7 x 17 phillips. Dagors and artars for lenses.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin