Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,340   Online: 839

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What lenses cover ULF?

In order to make sure a lens covers an Ultra-Large Format, you need to first know the length of the diagonal of the format.
    Then, if you have the coverage of the lens, also known as the size of the image circle, you can see if a lens covers a format.

I know I have multiple lists that show just this. When I get back from oregon I will post them.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That works well with well documented lenses, like newer ones and "collectibles" like old Dagors. There is a very good list at http://www.mamutphoto.com/content/view/92/43/lang,en/

I have a few good reference books especially for older German lenses.

It looks like my technique is to buy the lens, then see which format it will cover. That works too, at least if you have enough cameras...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi darwinwc -

A good inexpensive lens is the Nikkor 300 f/9 - it covers 7x17 and 8x20. Also the APO Germinars are great lenses - 450mm, 600mm, 750mm and 1000mm. The first two will cover 12x20 and the second 2 will cover up to 20x24. Also the 355mm f/9 G-Claron will cover 12x20 and so will the newer 210 Super Symmar XL (very expensive). Hope this helps.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens spec chart at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenseslist.html says the 300 f/9 only covers 325mm. Is it like the G-Clarons in that its specs are under rated and it covers more as you stop down?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frednewman
    Hi darwinwc -

A good inexpensive lens is the Nikkor 300 f/9 - it covers 7x17 and 8x20. Also the APO Germinars are great lenses - 450mm, 600mm, 750mm and 1000mm. The first two will cover 12x20 and the second 2 will cover up to 20x24. Also the 355mm f/9 G-Claron will cover 12x20 and so will the newer 210 Super Symmar XL (very expensive). Hope this helps.

Fred
    Jumping into this thread because I've been needing good info too . Thanks Fred.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Nikkor-M 450mm F9 will also cover up to 12x20 format and produces very nice image quality.

Gary

A 19" Dagor will cover a whole lot ;-)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by frednewman
    A good inexpensive lens is the Nikkor 300 f/9 - it covers 7x17 and 8x20.
    It might illuminate these formats, but if you demand optimal sharpness, you should not use it beyond 5x7". What you suggest is MUCH larger than what the lens was designed for. Of course, if all you want is contact prints, you might not need 20 or 40 lp/mm.

It would make a very good "long" lens for 4x5".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanC
    The lens spec chart at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenseslist.html says the 300 f/9 only covers 325mm. Is it like the G-Clarons in that its specs are under rated and it covers more as you stop down?
    The circle of illumination of the 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M is large enough for 7X17. However, performance is not real crisp on the corners. The 300mm f/9 G-Claron is a much better lens for 7X17 and 8X20 in my opinion.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    It might illuminate these formats, but if you demand optimal sharpness, you should not use it beyond 5x7". What you suggest is MUCH larger than what the lens was designed for. Of course, if all you want is contact prints, you might not need 20 or 40 lp/mm.

It would make a very good "long" lens for 4x5".
    Coverage information provided by the lens manufacturer, and what you see in many charts, is nearly always based on, 1) use of the lens at f/16 or f/22 and, 2) for projection printing where an enlargment of 4X-10X is anticipated. In ULF work we usually think of coverage in terms of contact printing, i.e. no enlargement, and use of the lens at f/45 or f/64, which with many designs increases the useful angle of coverage.

If you were to rely solely on the charts you would have no idea that the 450 Nikkor-M covers 12X20 with many inches of movement, or that the 355 G-Claron covers 12X20. But both of these lenses are very popular with users of this format. The same is true of many other lenses, so if you want to know if a given lens will cover your format, beteter to ask someone who work with the format before wasting your time with the charts.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 04-03-2006 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin