Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,473   Online: 906

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian
    Cheaper than a set of golf clubs!
    Have you priced golf clubs lately? You could pretty easily by a used 8x10 field camera, one lens in shutter, 3-4 film holders, box of film, trays, chemicals, paper to contact print on, and probably even a contact printing frame, for less than a set of golf clubs... :o
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ALWAYS look for a camera that comes with holders, as these are the single most frightening purchase. Bookforms can often be adapted to use film (I'm currently fighting with a pre-WWI 12x15 inch Gandolfi). The other depressing bit is printing frames: probably best to make these.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got into ULF for a time. I had a modified 12X210 Korona with over three feet of bellows extension...it was sort of fun to pull out the big gun and impress the hell out of the boys.

But, for myself, after awhile hauling thirty five pounds of camera and tripod got to be a real pain. Couple that with the cost ($10.00 for each exposure on private label film) and the novelty wears thin pretty darn quick.

After I got honest with myself I found that after I did some conversions on my enlarging equipment that I could produce prints that were very near if not equal to Azo contact prints. So the question, for me, became why would I want to shoot large film to produce large prints when I could shoot smaller film and produce equally good large prints...certainly satisfactory to me and that is what counts in my books.

Now please understand I am not trying to dissuade anyone from what they truly desire...I am just telling you the results of my experiences. Good luck in whatever your choices are.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Pinhole!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Donald,

I have to say that increasingly, I agree with you, especially about the weight. My 12x15 Gandolfi, in its case, with three book-form plate-holders, weighs 65 lb or a whisker under 30 kg.

I am very fond of whole-plate contact prints, and find that a 3x enlargement from 56x72mm (Linhof's version of 6x7) is often indistinguishable. With ULF a 3x enlargement from 5x7 inch is 15 x 21 inch...

On the other hand there is a different 'look' with some subjects, and of course you need the big neg for POP or many 'alternative' processes.

Besides, that monster ground-glass is just so mesmerizing!

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll stick with 4x5. Can't get film for some of those bigger cameras.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Robert,

A great deal depends on whether you are shooting mono or colour, surely.

In mono you can get film for almost anything -- it's just a question of price -- and it's a lot easier than it used to be to have film cut to size: minimum order quantities are surprisingly small even for weird sizes like 12x15 inch, as little as 50-100 sheets from Bergger for example.

The only way I use my 4x5 inch cameras nowadays is for colour transparency or (in monochrome) with roll-film (6x7, 6x9, 6x12) because I much prefer the quality that I get from 5x7 inch or (as I have noted elsewhere) a 3x enlargement from 56x72mm to give me a whole-plate.

Cheers,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Robert,

A great deal depends on whether you are shooting mono or colour, surely.

In mono you can get film for almost anything -- it's just a question of price -- and it's a lot easier than it used to be to have film cut to size: minimum order quantities are surprisingly small even for weird sizes like 12x15 inch, as little as 50-100 sheets from Bergger for example.

The only way I use my 4x5 inch cameras nowadays is for colour transparency or (in monochrome) with roll-film (6x7, 6x9, 6x12) because I much prefer the quality that I get from 5x7 inch or (as I have noted elsewhere) a 3x enlargement from 56x72mm to give me a whole-plate.

Cheers,

Hi Roger,

My comment was a bit "tongue in cheek", I'm well known on APUG as a lover of fine color landscapes, on the order of Joe Cornish and Jack Dykinga. B&W holds very little interest for me. Sure, I could do 5x7 or 8x10, but since I live on a very small island, I have to travel by air everywhere, and you just can't carry those things easily on one.

Glad to have you aboard,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin