Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,961   Online: 786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What tripods are good for ULF?

What tripods are good for ULF?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You may get as many different answers as there are ULF photographers. Mine is an antique Gandolfi tripod, just as strong and well-made as their cameras. The big camera support plate is a definite advantage with wooden ULF cameras.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you really mean ULF (i.e. bigger than 8x10"), then there is a real difficulty in finding a worthwhile tripod that you can carry any distance. I personally use 4x5" to 8x10", outside with my 4x5" Crown Graphic I find a Manfrotto 055 tripod is good if used with care, while in the studio a Manfrotto 058 handles just about anything. As the Manfrotto 058 has the "triaut" mechanism (all 3 legs controlled by a ring under the tripod head), I do not like to use it in dirty conditions (it copes OK but it needs a wash down and spray with WD40 afterwards), so I keep an old De Vere tripod as a standby for a heavy support for outdoors.

The answer is completely dependent upon the camera that will grace the tripod. If you shoot an older Korona you could easily use a Ries J100 and not have to many mobility issues. My 34# Wisner 12x20/8x20/11x14 Tech Field requires a Ries A100 that tips the scale at #13 just for the tripod. That is nearly a #50 camera/tripod combination. Aside from regular visits to the gym to lift weights you learn rather quickly to be highly selective where you drop legs. Gitzo produces a carbon fibre tripod that is interesting and very light weight.

Good Luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not shoot larger then my Sinar P8x10 but she is quite heavy and I just can recomand the Wolf tripods the strongest go up to 30 kg and are light!
    http://www.wooden-tripods.com/
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.gandolficameras.com/ - go to "Tripods". Look at the "Major".

Since I got one (a "Medior", antique) I can't really bring myself to put an antique wooden camera on anything else. It's even sturdier than my Stabil.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs
    I do not shoot larger then my Sinar P8x10 but she is quite heavy and I just can recomand the Wolf tripods the strongest go up to 30 kg and are light!
    http://www.wooden-tripods.com/
    Just curious, the Wolf tripods look very much like a Berlebach tripod. Are they the same, just rebadged or just very close in design?

TIA
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Two modest tripods used together may be as sturdy as one really good tripod. but what a nuisance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a surveying tripod for my 8x10 field camera when I'm in the field. Indoors I use a large Gitzo.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I mounted the 12X20 Korona on a wooden surveyors tripod with a Majestic geared head. It made for a heavy combination...probably on the order of 38-40lbs.

It's not a Reis but it didn't cost nearly as much either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin