Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,217   Online: 880

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donsta
    Sandy

Today I did a couple of test sheets with the Cooke XVa on 8x10 in every combination. I deliberately shot every sheet close to the edge of the image circle (as close as my camera would allow - I had two inches of shift and about 2 inches of fall where possible) because I would ideally like to use this lens on 11x14 (combined with a 240mm). Two sets of cells provide 5 different focal lenghs. They all cover 11x14 except for the back+back combination which is only usable on 8x10 (273mm focal lengh). The others look like this:

Front and back - 311mm FL just covers 11x14 (can get about an inch of rise at f64)
    Back only - 476mm FL - covers 12x20 with quite a bit to spare
    Front only - 646mmFL - covers 12x20 with loads to spare
    Front and front - 368mm FL - covers 12x20 straight on

The negatives are not yet dry, but I will report back tomorrow when they are and I have had an objective look. However, they appear to be plenty sharp right into the corners...
    OK, look forward to your report after examing the dry negatives.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, they are dry and all of them look better than I expected! I expected the single element negatives to be easilty distinguishable from the pairs, but that is not the case. I wouldn't hesitate to enlarge all of them - so I'm pretty certain that even the most fussy of silver contact printers would be more than satisfied. I will probably shoot some 11x14 test sheets later if time allows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A little more follow-up:

I went out with the 11x14 yesterday and shot a couple of sheets of film with two different configurations

1. Front element only - this has a focal lengh of 646mm and as expected, covers with more room than I could possibly use. I used it on a shot where I had significant front tilt and about 5 inches of front rise. The resulting negative is very sharp - right into the corners (which makes me very happy because I just sold my 600mm Fuji C).
    2. Front and Front elements - this has a focal lengh of 368mm. On one negative, I had a significant front tilt and 3-4 inches of front rise - razor sharp right into the corners. I know that this combination covers 12x20 with a little wiggle too, so perhaps it's time to loose the venerable 355 G Claron.

This confirms for me that this lens has excellent potential for ULF - especially for 11x14 (or 7x17) shooters looking to loose some weight from their gear. I intend combining my twin set of XVas with a 240mm graphic Kowa and that will provide focal lenghs of 240mm, 311mm, 368mm, 476mm and 646mm.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Oh my, I need a bigger wallet... and I don't even have much time for photography at the moment. Well, this is quite useful to know. I wonder if the vintage version of the Cooke triple convertible would yield similar results. Thanks very much, Donsta, for posting it. Much appreciated!

Best,

Markus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin