Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 938

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the 8x10 PEOPLE shooters I've known liked the 18 - 19" with 8x10 for a head and shoulders picture. I like that myself. A headsize of 2 1/2 to 4 inches is quite attractive.

With a 14", lens, I think a good full length shot that has a figure about 6" high. Get closer, it becomes bizarre.

Shooting at the same distance as I would with an 8x10, the 18 - 19 is very flattering to the subject, and the bigger neg adds a pleasant amount of context to the picture. Of course, the head size is the same size it would be on 8x10.

Shooting tighter, with a 24" lens, the headsize looks nice 4 to 7 inches. Bigger, and it gets a little creepy to me. Not to mention, difficult to work with.

I think the camera and tripod will determine whether you can efficiently shoot larger than a 3" head size with an 18" lens, and whether you can shoot a 24 at all. A saltzman, majestic, #5 Gitzo or Foba is pretty much a requirement. Racking out a 24" lens on an 11x14 Deardorff (V 11) is safe. A willing sitter, 3000 - 6000 ws of flash are also nice. For shooting in available light, which is a lot of fun, and makes very pretty images, a big studio stand makes life worth living.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Coming to the conversation a bit late:

I am currently using three portrait lenses with 11x14, two Dallmeyer Petzvals and a soft focus Verito.

Of the two Dallmeyers, I prefer the slightly longer 22" f4 (5A), but the shorter 19" f6 (5D) gets used more often since it is significantly lighter, and requires less bellows. Even with 38" of extension, I often run out. I have attached two photos, the first taken with the 5A and the second with the 5D.

I have only just started using the 18" Verito. Its a much harder lens to get to know. I have been surprised at the results, as they don't always match what I see on the GG. Other soft focus lenses I have used include a 16" f3.5 Wolly Varium, a medium-soft triplet which I like quite a bit.

Another option are Tessar types. The f4.5 variety would probably be great, but I haven't found the right one yet. I have also used my 450 Nikkor-M for portraiture. Its a great lens, but a bit too clean and clinical for most portraits.

All this said, you are best off seeing what you can find and afford. The Petzvals which will cover plates this big are uncommon, and are selling for large sums of money (a big Darlot which would easily cover 11x14 sold a few weeks ago for over $900). The most common is the Dallmeyer 5D, which comes up for sale a few times a year. Also the Wolly Vitax with the 20" front element are often available and relatively affordable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5A-Kamran.jpg   5D-Chip.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JG Motamedi,
    Thanks for the image postings--I happened across a 5D some time ago and acquired it as well as the much larger 4B and I have a 6D as well--there is a significant size difference and my choice to toy with will likely be the 5D as the mounting and support of the other two will be an issue in itself--not sure if it will be worthwhile for me to even try the 4B as it is much larger than the 5D (redundant) but of much less coverage according to the spec sheets--I also have a beautiful 2B that is limited to 4x5 but a very very nice lens (that I've actually used on 5x7 and clipped corners) and still sports it full set of serial numbered waterhouse stops which is rare enough in itself --I also have 4 Lerebours et Secretan Petval lenses and at least one covers at least 8x10 and likely 11x14 but there is so little information on them (that I've found at least) that there is no stated coverage or markings to suggest the FL or aperture as they do not accept waterhouse stops and are about 10 to 15 years before the Dallmeyer Patent Portrait lenses--all mine date to 1850-ish and one supposedly earlier but no way to verify. The Lerebours tend to be more compact and of larger coverage than a similar sized Dallmeyer and these are not magic lantern lenses but portrait petzvals--if I could only get my butt in gear and use them rather than hoarding them !! Again I thank you for your posting and would be very interested in any other images you care to share with us!!
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli

I'm dreaming of a 19" Hermagis Eidoscope...
    "Just like the ones I used to know.
    Where the treetops glisten"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another vote for the 18" f/4 Wollensak Diffused-Focus Verito. Dreamy.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I know I can some how justify buying one of these...Oh wife we can save $ on all those crappy Sears portraits you get the kids.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thats like trying to justify buying a fishing boat, all the money you will save at the fish counter at the grocery store ya know. Might as well try it, might work once.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook
    Thats like trying to justify buying a fishing boat, all the money you will save at the fish counter at the grocery store ya know. Might as well try it, might work once.
    No not a fishing boat just the tackle, fly rods, fly tying vises, waders............................................ ......................

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mike,
    You would be particularly correct if practicing catch and release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin