Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,323   Online: 959

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    Kerry,
    I hope to have the camera next week and I'll post photos as soon as I receive it. I used an 8x10 Sinar C, (C2?) as a base. It has a P rear standard and an F2 front and I got it VERY cheaply. Richard used a 7x17 back from one of his new cameras and a 36 inch bellows from Camera Bellows in England. I currently use a 4x5 Sinar Norma (I don't backpack) and really enjoy the precision and ease of a modular monorail. I don't think the 7x17 is going to be a problem for me to move around, but I use a Sherpa Cart to transport my LF camera gear so a little extra weight and bulk don't matter to me.

Richard Wasserman
    Richard,

Sounds like the perfect combination of Sinar standards. You get the rigidity and load handling ability of the P rear standard, combined with a lighter weight, but still still rigid F2 front standard.

It sounds like we headed down very similar paths. I'm having Richard make the back for my camera (but I am making the rear "box") and I plan to order my bellows from Camera Bellows. The ARCA-SWISS front bellows frame is on it's way to me from Percision Camera Works and should be here early next week. At which point, I'll ship it off to Camera Bellows to get the bellows made. I think I'll limit my bellows extension to about 28". The longest lens I current have is a 600mm Fujinon C that only needs 22.6" of extension to focus at infinity. If I ever do need to go longer, I can add an intermediate standard (which I already have) and an extension bellows (which I also already have) as well as a longer rail section (also, have). So, in my base configuration, the camera will be lightweight, compact and able to handle lenses up to 600mm. If I ever need more extension, I've already got everything I need.

I do plan to hike, and maybe even backpack, with my camera. So, a compact, lightweight configuration is a requirement for me (another reason I chose the ARCA-SWISS).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry,
    Just curious, will you be shooting color in 7x17? If so, what film and printing method please? I currently only use b&w, but color has been whispering to me lately, although a smaller format might be more sensible. Did I really just write "sensible"??? Who am I trying to kid, I must be talking about someone else...

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Richard,

I plan to shoot black and white with the 7x17. I'll stick to 4x10 for color.

Kerry

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    That platform looks very stable, but how portable is it?

Is the camera itself a Korona or something you built?

Sandy
    Hi Sandy,
    The camera was (is) a Korona. I appreciated the weight but it was rickety when set up - especially in windy conditions. The conversion was a matter of necessity. It isn;t the most portable although I have backpacked with it. It is more easily transportable using a nice three wheel pram or stroller designed for jogging. With it I can go good distances over fairly rough terrain. It is a joy to be able to use the movements, stability and rigidity of the Sinar system, kind of like having a real camera instead of fighting a wobbly one. The weight trade off is one I have gladly made.
    Cheers,
    David

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    David,

Just out of curiosity, how much does your camera weigh in the 8x20 configuration?

Kerry

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kerry,

Are you planning on using F-line function carriers with your 7x17? I would think they are strong enough for 7x17. They would probably qualify as strength-to-weight champions in that configuration.

I am assembling a 14x20 camera (deardorff back) on a sinar rail based system. I shelved the project for long period but my new year's resolution is to finish it by the end of the summer. I recently picked up a sinar 8x10 c2 (p2 rear/f2 front) to use as the base. I will use a sinar camera support that mates a p/p2 bearer to a camera socket. The camera support has 3 holes that can be used to mount it to a mahogany frame that I made to hold the back.

I think using a sinar has some advantages over the arca for larger cameras and that is why I went this way. I had seen Dave's corona/sinar conversion at Michael & Paula's workshop and it is a practical camera.

Peter

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    David,

Just out of curiosity, how much does your camera weigh in the 8x20 configuration?

Kerry
    I had no idea after using it for four years so I just weighed it. 11 Kg (24.2 pounds). Part of that weight is the extra Sinar base plate that allows two uprights to hold the rail, imperative from my point of view to prevent what would be an inevitable twisting action without it. The weight is camera only and not things like film holders, etc.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roodpe
    Kerry,

I think using a sinar has some advantages over the arca for larger cameras and that is why I went this way. I had seen Dave's corona/sinar conversion at Michael & Paula's workshop and it is a practical camera.

Peter
    Just curious about this as I haven't had the opportunity to attend Michael and Paula's workshop and didn't have my camera there when I did visit them. Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Peter,

I think the F-Line function carriers will be able to handle the 7x17 I am making. I'm not sure how much bigger they can reasonably handle. They were only designed to support 8x10 (which is really a 10x10 back), but like everything ARCA they are very well made and can probably handle a bit more than their original design target.

Although I have three lenses that cover 12x20, at the present time, I have no plans to go bigger than 7x17. Of course, a year ago, I had no plans to go bigger than 4x10. So, you never know...

Kerry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I had no idea after using it for four years so I just weighed it. 11 Kg (24.2 pounds). Part of that weight is the extra Sinar base plate that allows two uprights to hold the rail, imperative from my point of view to prevent what would be an inevitable twisting action without it. The weight is camera only and not things like film holders, etc.
    Dave,

Thanks for posting the info on your camera. As I plan to hike, and maybe even do a few overnight backpacking trips with my 7x17, weight and bulk are more of an issue for me. It's not really an apples:apples comparison, but I expect my completed 7x17 camera to weigh about 12 lbs. give or take a half pound.

Kerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin