Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,985   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Sinar or rail hybrid ULF

I've been doing a little research regarding the ULF rail based cameras people are putting together out there. Most of the cameras seem to start with a Sinar P2 as a donor and then the appropriate format back is added. http://www.glennview.com/ has a kit for the format size I'm interested in with some posted pictures and I am aware there is a guy who made an 8x20 using a rail base design posted over on http://www.mamutphoto.com/

Are there any members that have used or made something like this? Does the donor rail camera need to be a Sinar or are they the best candidate do to there beefy design?

Any comments would be helpful.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Jorge is working on such an adaptation. Maybe he'll chime in here.

The attractions of the P or P2 are that it's sturdy and has precise movements including yaw-free asymmetric tilts and swings, and the mode of attachment is simple--just a post on the rear standard bearer and a set screw on the back, and you can cannibalize a defunct Sinar bellows for the front bellows frame, and it won't in any way prevent you from using the camera in the normal way. You can also add as much rail as you want easily, and another tripod mount if necessary. You can also attach two tripod mounts to a baseplate attached to one tripod head for more support than a single mount, but more flexibility than a two-tripod arrangement.

Cameras that have a U-shaped support for the rear standard require that you make a wider U-shaped bracket for the ULF back. Cameras with an L-shaped bracket might make it difficult to center the ULF back properly with the front standard, requiring a new L-shaped bracket. The Sinar P and P2 avoid these complications, because you can drill the hole on the back for the mounting post on the standard bearer anywhere you want to.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exactly what David said...

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use the Sinar P as a platform for both 8x20 and 11x14. I've sent some photos to Jorge and I understand he is working it out for a 12x20. Using the P or P2 is a really beautiful system. I'd be happy to provide more details if requested. Also here is a web site that has some images of the 8x20:
    http://www.mamutphoto.com/content/view/59/43/lang,fr/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    I use the Sinar P as a platform for both 8x20 and 11x14. I've sent some photos to Jorge and I understand he is working it out for a 12x20. Using the P or P2 is a really beautiful system. I'd be happy to provide more details if requested. Also here is a web site that has some images of the 8x20:
    http://www.mamutphoto.com/content/view/59/43/lang,fr/
    That platform looks very stable, but how portable is it?

Is the camera itself a Korona or something you built?

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks for all the info guys, I think this fellow http://www.glennview.com/sinar.htm in my home town no less, has the Sinar ULF based system worked out nicely though a bit on the pricey side. Now if I could just get a look at one.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike,
    I should have the 7x17 Sinar camera Richard Ritter made for me in a few days. I'l let you know when I receive it and you can come take a look. I think it will be at least as nice as the Glennview product, actually probably nicer. The bellows should be better and it has a bail back. It was also MUCH less expensive.

For everyone else- I'll post photos of it as soon as I can.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    Mike,
    I should have the 7x17 Sinar camera Richard Ritter made for me in a few days. I'l let you know when I receive it and you can come take a look. I think it will be at least as nice as the Glennview product, actually probably nicer. The bellows should be better and it has a bail back. It was also MUCH less expensive.

Richard Wasserman
    Richard,

Please post photos as soon as you can. Richard is also going to make the back for my 7x17 ARCA-SWISS conversion. I chose to use the ARCA-SWISS as the basis for my 7x17 camera because I previously built a smaller 4x10 version and am extremely pleased with the way it turned out. It is an absolute joy to use. I think a 7x17 based on an ARCA is probably more compact and possibly lighter than one based on a Sinar (assuming similar features and specs in terms of bellows draw, etc.), but there is a LOT of used Sinar gear turning up on eBay these days.

Be it ARCA or Sinar, I like the idea of a ULF camera that rides on a modern monorail chassis. Rigidity, bellows extension and movements are all superior to an 80 year old banquet camera, and given what used Sinar gear is selling for on eBay these days, probably cheaper to boot. It's also easy to get accessories (extension rails, lensboards, etc.). Heck, with the Sinar you're already set-up to use barrel lenses with the Sinar behind-the-lens shutter, too. I plan to mostly use lenses in shutters with my camera, but I do have a Sinar shutter that I have adapted to work with my ARCA-SWISS.

Which Sinar did you use as the base for your camera? Mine is an amalgamation of ARCA-SWISS parts from various cameras.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kerry,
    I hope to have the camera next week and I'll post photos as soon as I receive it. I used an 8x10 Sinar C, (C2?) as a base. It has a P rear standard and an F2 front and I got it VERY cheaply. Richard used a 7x17 back from one of his new cameras and a 36 inch bellows from Camera Bellows in England. I currently use a 4x5 Sinar Norma (I don't backpack) and really enjoy the precision and ease of a modular monorail. I don't think the 7x17 is going to be a problem for me to move around, but I use a Sherpa Cart to transport my LF camera gear so a little extra weight and bulk don't matter to me.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by disfromage
    Mike,

Richard Wasserman
    Thanks Richard, I'm eager to check it out. The reply I got fom Glennview was than encouraging.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin