Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,564   Online: 974

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

6 foot tall wooden cameras

While browsing around on the web for information about wood working I came across this article that briefly mentions the use of an Incra Jig for precision cuts, specifically for the manufacture of ultra large wooden cameras.

The author briefly mentions that one customer of the jig (living in Oregon) uses it to build these huge cameras commercially.

So my questions are:

Does anyone know any details of these super mammoth cameras?

What is an Incra Jig?

Here is the link:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ez.../interview.cfm
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dongba
    An Incra jig is a close tolerance adjustable fence system available from Rockler tools. For a photo geek it's equivalent would be a Sinar system with all the frills upon it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an Incra jig. Its a nice tool for doing things like cutting finger joints (or dovetails-I haven't progressed that far) on a router table. I bought it to build boxes for smaller cameras. I have no idea what it would be used for in a 6' tall camera.

I think it would work equally well on a table saw as on the router table for doing things like finger joints. It is provided with a set of interchangable ruled scales to position the fence for finger joints or dovetails of varying size, widths, and patterns.

I've also used an Incra miter gauge in a woodworking class I'm attending and that is another very useful and precise tool. It will probably be my next tool purchase.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz
    I have an Incra jig. Its a nice tool for doing things like cutting finger joints (or dovetails-I haven't progressed that far) on a router table. I bought it to build boxes for smaller cameras. I have no idea what it would be used for in a 6' tall camera.

I think it would work equally well on a table saw as on the router table for doing things like finger joints. It is provided with a set of interchangable ruled scales to position the fence for finger joints or dovetails of varying size, widths, and patterns.

I've also used an Incra miter gauge in a woodworking class I'm attending and that is another very useful and precise tool. It will probably be my next tool purchase.

Joe
    Thanks Joe. I visited their web site today and watched the demo videos. Their tools seemed to be very impressive. I also found a local dealer and plan to visit as soon as I can. Incras prices seem reasonable considering the time they would save me and precision they can provide.

I think I may look at enrolling in some wood working classes myself. There is so much I don't know about wood, etc.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one but use the Canadian made Leigh Dovetail Jig now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin