Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,033   Online: 1010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh
    Thank Jim for the advice. Anyone know a wide angle lens (around 300mm maybe) to use on 12x20. Something not terrible expensive.
    Ryan,

The 450 Nikkor M is a great lens for 12X20. Stopped down to f/45 or more it covers the format with as much as six inches of movement. I have even used it on 20X24 and it even covers this format adequately for contact printing with a bit of movement, *if you stop down to f/64 or more*.

Nothing I know of in the 300mm range that covers 12X20 could be considered "not terribly expensive." I have a 305 Computar and it is fabulous for this format, but inxpensive it is not, unless you happen to grab one from someone who is not into ULF. Now, just when I say this Jim Gali will tell us that he just picked up a 270mm Series V Protar for the price of a six-pack.

OK, if you look hard you just may find a 270mm Kowa Graphic that is same as Computar. I have seen both 240mm and 270mm Kowa Graphics that do have the same coverage as Computar, though never a 305. If you can find a 270mm Computar, or Kowa Graphic with the same design, it will *just* cover 12X20 if you focus at around 40 feet and stop down for far and near coverage.

Sandy

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No bargains lately! Our asian friends that are enjoying a mammoth camera craze are scouting the earth for big coverage lenses. I'm glad I was able to get a few when I did. I used the 1220 Folmer this weekend past and have decided it's just too much. Later today perhaps I'll be posting a package that includes a nice 1220 F&S, 4 holders, 19" Dagor lens. $5500 + shipping. Maybe someone here will want it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Maybe someone here will want it.
    Uhhh....yeah! I'm still fence-sitting on the 7x17 and the 12x20. I am hoping my experience with Craig's 12x20 will help me decide.

You could wait till the end of summer to decide to sell it Jim.
    Michael Slade

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    No bargains lately! Our asian friends that are enjoying a mammoth camera craze are scouting the earth for big coverage lenses. I'm glad I was able to get a few when I did. I used the 1220 Folmer this weekend past and have decided it's just too much. Later today perhaps I'll be posting a package that includes a nice 1220 F&S, 4 holders, 19" Dagor lens. $5500 + shipping. Maybe someone here will want it.

Damn it jim.. COuld you attach wheels to it and handle bars, Call it a stroller and send pics to my wife. On the other hand I am still in the dog house for the 8x10.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Thats one heck of a good deal Jim! I have a 12x20 F&S and its a peach---a very big peach but a peach none the less. Somebody ought to jump on that---with the cost of holders and a 19" Dagor it would almost be like getting the 12x20 thrown in for free!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, as it turns out, I just walked in the house 5 minutes ago from developing the first of 4 1220 sheets shot last weekend in Amargosa Desert and Death Valley. The neg is stunning and I'm not so sure I want to sell that camera afterall. I'll stitch a scan together next week at work where I have the big 11X17 scanner. Efke 100 film, and Sandy's PcatHD old version. 3063 drum / jobo 10.5 minutes. What a lens!!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin